Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Questions regarding T56 parts.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding T56 parts.

Let me start by saying this is the first transmission I've ever cracked open, but with the help of my brother we were able to disassemble it and find the cause of some 5-6 shifting issues. 5th and 6th were easy to engage, but seemed to have a dragging feeling when trying to pull out of gear.

I know I'm going to need new keys and springs for 5th/6th. The synchro rings are rough, and as this is my first time doing this I wasn't sure if this was they way they are or have they been damaged. So my first question I guess is, will these need to be replaced? Should I also buy the new synchro assembly? Use my old one and new billet keys?

The 5/6 driven gear had some chips on the gear and we chipped it a little more when we pulled it. I know for sure it will need replaced and wasn't sure if anyone has tried the aftermarket ones from The Gearbox. The price difference between OEM and aftermarket is a decent amount, so I was pretty unsure about the aftermarket piece.

Lastly, when we pulled the main case off to inspect the rest of the gears, I realized whoever put the transmission together last cross threaded the shift lever guide bolt. Does anyone have the specific thread of the bolt itself? Any opinions on the best way to approach fixing it?

I'm open to any suggestions or opinions on any of the above or what else I should be doing while I have the transmission apart.

Pieces of broken keys, found on magnet.

Damaged key

Messed up bolt hole

synchro ring

synchro ring

damaged key

damaged key

Last edited by Varhalla; 10-05-2015 at 08:17 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 10-06-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go OEM if you can afford it. I'm running 2 aftermarket pieces in my trans, 2nd gear from AMP (fit perfectly) and a non-oem input shaft from the gearbox, it works fine but the fitment and finish wasn't nearly as good as the OEM parts or AMP parts I ordered.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually use the gearbox level 2 kit and use billet keys in 5-6 slider also.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Go OEM if you can afford it. I'm running 2 aftermarket pieces in my trans, 2nd gear from AMP (fit perfectly) and a non-oem input shaft from the gearbox, it works fine but the fitment and finish wasn't nearly as good as the OEM parts or AMP parts I ordered.
The input shaft was most likely the Korean version and not ours. We're going to have some even nicer Viper spec input shafts available next month for the T56s.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AMP-D
The input shaft was most likely the Korean version and not ours. We're going to have some even nicer Viper spec input shafts available next month for the T56s.
Correct, that's why I said "non-oem from the gearbox". I would expect yours to be a nice piece, just wasn't ready when I was doing my rebuild.

Quick Reply: Questions regarding T56 parts.