Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

97 Trans Am LT1/T56 Grinds in reverse after clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Trans Am LT1/T56 Grinds in reverse after clutch replacement

Like the title says above. I just replaced my clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing etc in my TA after the throw out bearing went in my car. Come to find out the Master/Slave system for that era car is a seal system. So I replaced the master/slave with a OE part from GM and bled the system. It shifts fine right now, but once the car/trans warms up it becomes harder to shift gears and when you put the car into reverse it grinds and is almost impossible to get it in.

Google fu leads me to believe that the clutch isn't fully disengaging from the transmission. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2015, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new master/slave assy you bought, was it the kind that comes full of fluid? That type is already pre-bled. It sounds for sure that your clutch isn't disengaging all the way. You probably have air in it. If you left off the plastic cup on the end of the slave pushrod it would still disengage fine. Try not to drive it until you get it straightened out as it's hard on the synchros.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it was a OE part I ordered from GM. Unfortunately I've been driving on it as I've got to get to work. I'll take a look at it this weekend when I have the chance.

Any recommended fixes for the issue? If it's a sealed system and it has air in it how would I go about bleeding the system?

Edit: sorry for the long reply. I have been busy this week with work.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For bleeding all I can suggest is to use the search at the top of the page. If you bought a pre-bled assy why did you have to bleed it? Maybe it's defective...take it back and get another? FWIW I bought a pre-bled master/slave assy (AMS Automotive PS0427) from Rock Auto that I haven't installed yet but it's identical to my stock one. For some reason Rock Auto doesn't list this one for your car but the only one listed for your '97 is also listed for my '94. I think they're all the same from '93 to '97.

Quick Reply: 97 Trans Am LT1/T56 Grinds in reverse after clutch replacement