Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bang for the buck lightweight clutch setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bang for the buck lightweight clutch setup

This is driving me a little nuts researching. I am doing an A4 to T56 swap on my car. Getting the trans/ bell housing/ pedals/ shifter/ crossmember/ console. So I'm in need of a full clutch setup along with all hardware..

The car is mostly stock now. At most it will get a head/ cam package and will be a fun car for the twisties. If possible I'd like to incorporate a light(er) flywheel, based on that:

-Monster Stage 1 with 18lb flywheel (On the pricy side at almost $800 out the door)
-Diamond Stage 1 with a Fidanza flywheel ($400 clutch, $320 flywheel shipped)
-LS7, the only "kit" I've found was at Tick with a Ram aluminum flywheel option at $665 (Haven't been able to find exact weights but it seems the Ram is a good few lbs heavier than the Fidanza?)

http://www.tickperformance.com/gm-ls...-applications/

Summit sells just the LS7 clutch disk and PP for $275, add the Fidanza for $320 and other bits.

Any other combinations/ suggestions I missed? Thank you gents.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

None of those are light man the lightest one in there would be the diamond and would still be right around 42lbs. The ls7 clutch sucks so I would cross that out immediately. 800 is actually not a bad price for a good ls1 clutch what was your budget? That's about the min price you would have to pay for a true light setup
Old 10-16-2015, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^^agreed, none are super light. You'd most likely be happy with either the diamond or the monster though.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mantic weighed in at 48 ish pounds, $649, drives well, probably really similar to the diamond since they're both DF clutches. If I was going with a monster I'd go stage 2 and just be done with it with a lightweight FW, it is more pricey though but is an organic cutch. You can also pick up a used spec flywheel and put an aluminum insert in it as well and pick up an RST from McLeod, that's probably your best setup.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The LS7 clutch and lightweight are not words that go hand-in-hand. If you're looking for a cost-effective upgrade to the stock clutch, the LS7 is a good fit. If you're looking for a lightweight setup, I would cross that off the list immediately.

Depending on your desire for "lightweight", you may want to take a step up in price point to consider the McLeod RST with their aluminum flywheel (you can knock off another pound with the Fidanza). Dual friction, soft pedal, good street manners, 35 lbs all in and it can be fully rebuilt for $400 when the time comes.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can do lighter and Monsters are on sale right now...

Quick Reply: Bang for the buck lightweight clutch setup