Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slipping clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping clutch?

I think my clutch is slipping, but I'm not exactly sure as this is my first manual car. Whenever I'm in first gear and do a pull, after about 4-4500 rpm it just falls on its face and feels like it loses all power. But when i go to shift into second it will start pulling again. It seems like its only in first. PO said their was an LS7 clutch in it already, but I've found out that some of the other things he said were in it are not. Has 86K on it. So is it my clutch or not?
Old 11-07-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

A slipping clutch will usually present like this:

You're cruising along minding your own business, and some "feminine hygiene product packaging bag" in a civic pulls next to you wanting to run. So, you very coolly shift into 4th at 65 so you're ready when he says go. Then he says go, and you mash the throttle, and your RPMs go up but the car doesn't go any faster. Sometimes you'll smell something similar to cooked brake pads as well.

An engine losing power above 4500 rpm is a different issue. Typically fueling or a dead cylinder.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
A slipping clutch will usually present like this:

You're cruising along minding your own business, and some "feminine hygiene product packaging bag" in a civic pulls next to you wanting to run. So, you very coolly shift into 4th at 65 so you're ready when he says go. Then he says go, and you mash the throttle, and your RPMs go up but the car doesn't go any faster. Sometimes you'll smell something similar to cooked brake pads as well.

An engine losing power above 4500 rpm is a different issue. Typically fueling or a dead cylinder.
Nicely done. Also kudos on knowing wtf the difference is between "you're" and "your".
Old 11-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darth_V8r Thanks that was very detailed
Old 11-09-2015, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Darth -- that was probably the funniest line I've ever read on here. Nice starting the day with a good laugh!

OP -- for the slipping feeling think "revs going up but car not going any faster". Unfortunately, the issue you're having doesn't sound like the clutch slipping.

Quick Reply: Slipping clutch?