Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Whining noise with clutch out.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Whining noise with clutch out.

I recently pulled the transmission and replaced my oil pan gasket and once it put it back together with the clutch out the shifter area has a whining coming from it. With the clutch in the noise is gone. This is with the car just sitting still idling I haven't driven it since. Everything on the car is the same minus a pro 5.0 shifter. Is it just the shifter? The car does have a bronze shifter cup bushing. Possibly pilot or throw out bearing?
Old 11-29-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What clutch?
Old 11-29-2015, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk00ss
What clutch?
Ram power grip. It's been in the car for probably 25k. Still looked good. The noise wasn't there or not as bad anyway until the pro 5.0. I wonder if the bronze bushing is what's causing the noise.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk00ss
What clutch?
Fixed it. The shifter base was touching the console for some reason. I took a Dremel and trimmed the inner structure of the console and the noise stopped. Still has minor noise but nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Fixed it. The shifter base was touching the console for some reason. I took a Dremel and trimmed the inner structure of the console and the noise stopped. Still has minor noise but nothing out of the ordinary.
You didn't attach the shifter handle to the wrong side by any chance? (passenger side of the stick vs. driver's side). I did that once before and the shaft was binding up against the console, making it very difficult to get into Reverse. The metal to metal contact with the bronze cup could be causing some cabin noise. Same comment for the metal to metal contact on the bolted shifter shaft. A thin gasket placed there can help. Many or most T56's will have neutral gear rollover noise at idle-2500 rpm from the gears clanking together while not being seated under decent load (ie rotational whirling noises with clutch pedal out while in neutral). It shows up a lot more with aftermarket shifter/clutch combinations/upgrades and engine hp builds....and sometimes when removing/re-installing clutch/transmissions.

Last edited by Firebrian; 12-02-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firebrian
You didn't attach the shifter handle to the wrong side by any chance? (passenger side of the stick vs. driver's side). I did that once before and the shaft was binding up against the console, making it very difficult to get into Reverse. The metal to metal contact with the bronze cup could be causing some cabin noise. Same comment for the metal to metal contact on the bolted shifter shaft. A thin gasket placed there can help. Many or most T56's will have neutral gear rollover noise at idle-2500 rpm from the gears clanking together while not being seated under decent load (ie rotational whirling noises with clutch pedal out while in neutral). It shows up a lot more with aftermarket shifter/clutch combinations/upgrades and engine hp builds....and sometimes when removing/re-installing clutch/transmissions.
No the actual stationary part of the shifter was hitting the console. The round part that the handle goes in that houses the springs shifter stops etc.

Quick Reply: Whining noise with clutch out.