Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dilemma, push it, or replace it and with what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dilemma, push it, or replace it and with what?

I've spent countless hours reading posts about all the clutch options out there and what everyone's experience is. I've got a 8yr old LS7 clutch kit in the car with 40k miles on it. Still drives totally fine and has held up to over 100 4-6000 rpm clutch dumps on qtp's and drag radials at the track. Never an issue. I'm at 460rwhp na also. I rip thru first and second a couple times almost every time I drive it on the street with toyo 315 drag radials on it. It's more of a street car than track but I do make about 4-6 track outings a year where I've had a best 60' of 1.68 on drag radials. Next spring, I plan on going to 4.30 gears in my 9" and spraying a 70-100 shot. I can't see pulling out a clutch that works to spend a grand on a twin disk just because I'm upping the power. Kinda want to see if it'll hold. Is that stupid? I've seen some guys throw a lot at their ls7 and it takes it all day. Or am I just gonna be ripping this thing out in the spring after the first track outing? Thoughts? Next question, what to replace it with. I need nice street manners because I still put my wife and kids in the car on a nice day to cruise but I also want it to lift the front tires at the track on 28" stiff wall slicks. Should be around 575whp/575-600rwtq on the 100 shot. When the stock bottom goes, it's getting a 402 stroker with probably a 150 shot. What would Jesus do?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus would let the clutch keep taking care of business until it is no more.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SteenH
Jesus would let the clutch keep taking care of business until it is no more.
I was hoping the son of God would see the potential still left within the spirit of the tired ls7 clutch. I shall live by faith and expect it to hold up to the extra hp. 😁
Old 12-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aaronware76
I was hoping the son of God would see the potential still left within the spirit of the tired ls7 clutch. I shall live by faith and expect it to hold up to the extra hp. 😁
Who's laughing right now? Either at the reference to Jesus Christ being involved in this or the fact that I may leave this clutch alone, and hit it with steeper gears and a 100 shot?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I think Jesus would sell the car and give the money to the poor...
Old 12-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I think Jesus would sell the car and give the money to the poor...
Jesus would be foolish to do so without driving it first. He would break bread with them, not give them cash!
Old 12-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Jesus would be foolish to do so without driving it first. He would break bread with them, not give them cash!
It was my own doing but this has gotten off topic here. I know it's Christmas and my man JC is popular right now but, anyone else want to chime in with an opinion or fact?
Old 12-10-2015, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If it were me I'd keep the clutch and see what happens cause you just never know. Case in point: I'm around 700 rwtq on the nitrous on the stock 10 bolt and doing fine. This is a 6-speed with 4.10 gears and drag radials. Theoretically the rear should have gave out long ago but it hasn't in my case. See my point? I mean if you have the cash then great....go get a nice clutch, but if you're like most of us every dollar counts, and if it ain't broke why fix it. That's just my opinion.

Oh and I think Jesus would agree
Old 12-11-2015, 10:12 AM

It was my own doing but this has gotten off topic here. I know it's Christmas and my man JC is popular right now but, anyone else want to chime in with an opinion or fact?
You're right, we've had our fun. I wouldn't replace the clutch without a good reason. Example - you are sick of a certain behavior, or you want a lighter clutch.

After your build, you can always get on the highway and go WOT in 5th. If it slips, you need to upgrade.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
If it were me I'd keep the clutch and see what happens cause you just never know. Case in point: I'm around 700 rwtq on the nitrous on the stock 10 bolt and doing fine. This is a 6-speed with 4.10 gears and drag radials. Theoretically the rear should have gave out long ago but it hasn't in my case. See my point? I mean if you have the cash then great....go get a nice clutch, but if you're like most of us every dollar counts, and if it ain't broke why fix it. That's just my opinion.

Oh and I think Jesus would agree
You're right. It could be totally fine. It's handled the abuse I've given it so far. And I only plan to spray at the track which is less than 6 outings a season. Now that may all change after I use the spray for the first time. Lol. I know the clutch will have to come out eventually but I'm all about getting all I can out of it before it gets replaced. What clutch do you run?
Old 12-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Launching!

You're right, we've had our fun. I wouldn't replace the clutch without a good reason. Example - you are sick of a certain behavior, or you want a lighter clutch.

After your build, you can always get on the highway and go WOT in 5th. If it slips, you need to upgrade.
The clutch isn't as smooth as it used to be but I can slip it when needed and it holds well still. I'm at 460whp now with a rich tune. Should be about 480 after a retune and that is mostly the power level the clutch will see. The spray will be track only and not out of the hole at first. I know I'm not maximizing my potential with this old clutch but, as you said, no reason to change it yet. Plus I'm lookin at about a grand or a little more for a good replacement.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

You're right. It could be totally fine. It's handled the abuse I've given it so far. And I only plan to spray at the track which is less than 6 outings a season. Now that may all change after I use the spray for the first time. Lol. I know the clutch will have to come out eventually but I'm all about getting all I can out of it before it gets replaced. What clutch do you run?
I run a McLeod RST. When you go to replace the clutch I highly recommend a good twin disk like this one if you can afford the extra couple hundred bucks. It will hold all the power you can throw at it while retaining stock like pedal effort with no chatter or any of that
Old 12-11-2015, 07:35 PM

I run a McLeod RST. When you go to replace the clutch I highly recommend a good twin disk like this one if you can afford the extra couple hundred bucks. It will hold all the power you can throw at it while retaining stock like pedal effort with no chatter or any of that
agreed. If you decide to upgrade, a good twin disc is the best bet. They are also lighter with less MOI, so you can free up some ponies as well as hold the power
Old 12-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Launching!

So you run the RST . And it holds up to 700 rwtq. Are you on stiff wall slicks? I've seen a lot of posts saying the RST can't handle drag racing with a power adder.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Launching!

agreed. If you decide to upgrade, a good twin disc is the best bet. They are also lighter with less MOI, so you can free up some ponies as well as hold the power
Yeah, I would definitely replace with a twin disk. I don't want a full on race clutch because I don't want chatter and terrible street manners. When the time comes, it'll probably be the RST or the monster LT1-S. I see so many posts for and against both. Tough to choose.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

So you run the RST . And it holds up to 700 rwtq. Are you on stiff wall slicks? I've seen a lot of posts saying the RST can't handle drag racing with a power adder.
I'm currently running a 315/35/17 BFG drag radial. Even from a 2nd gear roll I'll spin pretty bad, so that combined with the fact that I don't take it to the track much, the RST does just fine for me. If I had slicks and dragged the car hard I'd probably opt for the RXT
Old 12-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Launching!

I'm currently running a 315/35/17 BFG drag radial. Even from a 2nd gear roll I'll spin pretty bad, so that combined with the fact that I don't take it to the track much, the RST does just fine for me. If I had slicks and dragged the car hard I'd probably opt for the RXT
Ok, that makes sense. I don't hit the track a lot but when I do, it's ***** out 6k clutch dumps on a sticky tire. However, the 26" qtp's I had were just ok and my best 60' was on a Hoosier 255/50/16 drag radial at 1.71 but with massive wheel hop. So it's gonna be stiff wall slicks this year before I destroy something with all the wheel hop. On the street I run toyo tq drag radials, 315/35/18. It skips a little in first, chirps 2nd and that's it. So, I'm expecting the stiff walls to stick like nothing I've ever seen so it'll be a real test for the ls7 clutch.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, that makes sense. I don't hit the track a lot but when I do, it's ***** out 6k clutch dumps on a sticky tire. However, the 26" qtp's I had were just ok and my best 60' was on a Hoosier 255/50/16 drag radial at 1.71 but with massive wheel hop. So it's gonna be stiff wall slicks this year before I destroy something with all the wheel hop. On the street I run toyo tq drag radials, 315/35/18. It skips a little in first, chirps 2nd and that's it. So, I'm expecting the stiff walls to stick like nothing I've ever seen so it'll be a real test for the ls7 clutch.
Gotcha. Still though that clutch may hold for a bit, and if it were me I'd run it to the edge and find out. Who knows you may get a good season out of it. Btw how do you like those Toyo tq's? I had them on my Mustang and loved them. I'm strongly considering them for my next tire again
Old 12-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Gotcha. Still though that clutch may hold for a bit, and if it were me I'd run it to the edge and find out. Who knows you may get a good season out of it. Btw how do you like those Toyo tq's? I had them on my Mustang and loved them. I'm strongly considering them for my next tire again
I like the TQ's a lot. They're a great looking tire and they hold my power even in first gear. From a 10mph roll in first they'll only slip just a bit when I floor it on cool pavement. Middle of summer, no slip at all. The car isn't unstable at all around turns... It drives like a sticky z rated tire. And they were cheaper than Mickey thompsons and nittos. At the strip I don't think they'll do anything for ya but it's an 18" tire. Not much side wall.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like the TQ's a lot. They're a great looking tire and they hold my power even in first gear. From a 10mph roll in first they'll only slip just a bit when I floor it on cool pavement. Middle of summer, no slip at all. The car isn't unstable at all around turns... It drives like a sticky z rated tire. And they were cheaper than Mickey thompsons and nittos. At the strip I don't think they'll do anything for ya but it's an 18" tire. Not much side wall.
Excellent. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. These BFG'S I have seem to work a lot like the Toyo is working for you when I'm n/a, but they wear fast and handle like crap. On the bottle I'm convinced I'm gonna spin no matter what brand i choose...low profile dr's and nitrous just don't mix. Thanks for info on those tires

Quick Reply: Dilemma, push it, or replace it and with what?