Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shift rail confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift rail confusion

Guys I'm reassembling my first T56 and I need a little help in how this all goes together. Does this appear right? If not pictures are very much appreciated and as always so is advice.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:35 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You're on your way. Looks like you had trial run 1, maybe 2.

You should invest in a new iron 3-4 shift fork.

Your 3-4 synchro is in 4th gear. Assuming your 3-4 blocker rings are in the right place relative to the keys, you can hold the mainshaft down / in place and pry up on the 3-4 shift fork and put it back in neutral.

At that point, the shift interlock pin selector hub will have the pin in the middle of the shift interlock slider "pac-man" mouth instead of above it.

Set a stopping piece under the 3-4 fork so it doesn't shift into 4th again upon lowering the main case. Best is something with a handle sticking out so you can't forget it!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmd
You're on your way. Looks like you had trial run 1, maybe 2.

You should invest in a new iron 3-4 shift fork.

Your 3-4 synchro is in 4th gear. Assuming your 3-4 blocker rings are in the right place relative to the keys, you can hold the mainshaft down / in place and pry up on the 3-4 shift fork and put it back in neutral.

At that point, the shift interlock pin selector hub will have the pin in the middle of the shift interlock slider "pac-man" mouth instead of above it.

Set a stopping piece under the 3-4 fork so it doesn't shift into 4th again upon lowering the main case. Best is something with a handle sticking out so you can't forget it!

OK so I figured out how the forks and rails align but everytime i put the main case on the 5/6 reverse rail drops down farther in the front plate. I stumbled on the place something under the 3/4 fork earlier which is how I noticed the other rail sliding down.

When it slides down it slips the 1/2 synchro down into 2 I believe it would be. Is there a trick to this?

Also what's the best way to slip the guide bolts in?

I know I should've invested in some upgrades while in there, but I was planning on doing this and I really don't have the spare change lying around. Maybe later if this al work out.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:39 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

The shift interlock pin can be lined up with the 3-4 fork link.
That's so the 1-2 doesn't shift.
Then the piece you have holding the 3-4 fork from moving keeps that from moving and you're good.

If you don't bang against the 5-6/R rails, they will stay in place well enough until:
Once you've set the case low enough, remove your 3-4 blocking piece, lower the case, and thread the guide bolt in so the 5-6/R rails are retained.

Then, you can use the 5-6/R rails to lift up on the interlock pac-man and the other shift guide bolt can be threaded in.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmd
The shift interlock pin can be lined up with the 3-4 fork link.
That's so the 1-2 doesn't shift.
Then the piece you have holding the 3-4 fork from moving keeps that from moving and you're good.

If you don't bang against the 5-6/R rails, they will stay in place well enough until:
Once you've set the case low enough, remove your 3-4 blocking piece, lower the case, and thread the guide bolt in so the 5-6/R rails are retained.

Then, you can use the 5-6/R rails to lift up on the interlock pac-man and the other shift guide bolt can be threaded in.
Dude I love ya. My tranny is back together shifts fine, spins fine. I'm not sure I would've gotten the shift rails back together right so easily without your help. I if you're ever in central IL hit me up I buy you a beer or something.

Ryan
Old 03-13-2016, 05:34 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

I volunteer to run your car up to 140 on 72 to J-ville in July.

Quick Reply: Shift rail confusion