Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Master installed Adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I went to the shop to take pictures of the pressure plate and disc to send to Steve at Monster. We will see what Steve says, personally other than the hot spots(which Steve at Monster said was normal), I didn't see any damage...The end of the clutch fingers were not bent or even scraped up from them making contact with the pressure plate. no other signs of damage from what I could see, maybe this means my clutch was just not holding? Here are the pictures I took yesterday. On the plus side, the shop does still have my stock master cylinder and clutch, so I told them to just swap it back in the car so I'm at least up and running again. so worst case scenario, I'm out $330 for the install fee, $500 worth of parts from my monster clutch(that's saying the parts are in fact ruined), and I spent a month without my daily driver. I guess as long as my car gets back on the road....I should count my blessings?

Name:  20160330_154119_zpsgup7cuqd.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  144.8 KB

Name:  20160330_154024_zpsyevtrvud.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  182.1 KB

Name:  20160330_154112_zpspram2yju.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  20160330_154318_zpsib6bcjr1.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  131.8 KB

Name:  20160330_154031_zpsglwj4abg.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  193.8 KB

This pic is just for attention and to remind everyone why we go through the headaches
Name:  IMG_0913_zpsoobvs4di.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  228.0 KB

Last edited by kissmy99ss; 03-31-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

I will be going by the shop today after work to ask them what measurement they came up with during the install, and to find out if they installed a shim or not. I will pick up my Monster unit and send it back to Monster, they are going to inspect it for damage for me and to test the unit. I love their customer support...This is seriously like the customer support you always here about from like the 50's....so rare to find these days, and is very refreshing !
Old 03-31-2016, 04:49 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Brother, Steve's customer service (The entire company for that matter) is second to none. Always stand up and a class act!

Hope you get that green goodness stuffed back in there soon! I know I beat the BE-JEEZUS out of mine (stage 2) and it LOVED it!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

UPDATE: Well I asked the shop what measurements they came up with during the install and the mechanic looked at me with a dumb-founded look across his face. he said he has no idea what he was supposed to measure....so I shipped the clutch back to Steve and he said because of the **** this shop is putting me through he is going to turn it around same day for me. Only problem is I didn't send the flywheel *Smashes forehead* So I'm going by the shop today after work to pick that up and get it shipped off. will report back when I hear from Steve as to the condition of my clutch.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

So few shops can honestly work on highly modified cars anymore. Getting to be a lost art. So sorry you're having all this trouble.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kissmy99ss
UPDATE: Well I asked the shop what measurements they came up with during the install and the mechanic looked at me with a dumb-founded look across his face. he said he has no idea what he was supposed to measure....so I shipped the clutch back to Steve and he said because of the **** this shop is putting me through he is going to turn it around same day for me. Only problem is I didn't send the flywheel *Smashes forehead* So I'm going by the shop today after work to pick that up and get it shipped off. will report back when I hear from Steve as to the condition of my clutch.
If they would of read the instructions.....
Old 04-12-2016, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE: Steve at Monster got the flywheel and test everything, the diaphragm spring was over extended and bent causing the unit to not release properly. So they installed a new pressure plate and all is good. Now, lets see if this shop will man up and own their mistake and pay for the repairs to my clutch....something tells me I'm SOL.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

so the adjustable rod of the MC was adjusted out to far and that over extended the clutch PP when the shop put it in?
Old 04-12-2016, 01:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
so the adjustable rod of the MC was adjusted out to far and that over extended the clutch PP when the shop put it in?
That is correct.

Is was pushing the diaphragm a hell of a lot further than it should, this bent the diaphragm and caused it to not release correctly on the fuclrum.

It left here releasing at .249" of travel, it came back releasing at over .350" of travel, that's entirely too much.

We swapped a new pressure plate and all is perfect, releasing at .250" and the stack height is a dead nuts 3" which is also dang near perfect.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Hopefully the next install will go better. Even though I'm upset with how long I have been without my car, the shop agreed to pay for the damages. So I have printed off all the instructions from monster's site, as well as from Tick's site for the Master Cylinder. I also printed off the pictures from a thread on here explaining exactly what they should measure when checking for a shim. I refuse to let a simple clutch install cost me almost $3K. So this shop is going to do what they told me they could until they get it right. When looking at the facts here, the clutch install went fine, the lack of knowledge with adjusting the master cylinder is what caused all the headaches. So hopefully with printed instructions and I highlighted Tick's phone number, the install will go a bit smoother and as it should.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

IDK if the Tick MC is a larger bore than stock and what instructions they include as I don't have one. I use the McLeod (Wilwood) which is a larger bore than stock for my McLeod Street Twin

In any event the shop needs to take baby steps and start with the adjustable rod at or shorter than stock length. Start motor, push clutch in, put in gear if they can and if not adjust in 1/2 turn increments until they can get the car in gear with engine running, rear wheels off the ground. With engine running, car in gear, clutch depressed fully the rear wheels should not turn. Even if the car shifts into gear it may be necessary to adjust rod a turn or two to get FULL disengagement

good the shop is covering the $ damages...
Old 04-13-2016, 05:55 PM

Excellent news! I know you've been out all this time, but at least it won't be time AND money. Glad to know they owned up to it all.

The tick master is larger bore vs stock, which is why the stroke is shorter. The engagement window will be narrower as well, but extremely consistent - as in it will be in the exact same spot every time
Old 04-13-2016, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE: Well when I went there and presented the shop with the invoice from Monster and all the instructions and pictures i printed off and highlighted for them they decided to try and blame me for everything saying I trashed the clutch somehow. So I yelled at them pretty good explaining how they trashed my perfectly good stock clutch, trashed my new parts, charged for me a tow after breaking down, not bleeding my brakes, not adjusting my master cylinder and taking 4 weeks when I was promised a 24 hour turnaround. They did offer to let me pick up a check tomorrow for the price of fixing my new parts, but I'm just going to tell them I don't want their dirty money that they probably stole from someone else and I'll be showing up with a tow truck tomorrow after work to pick up my car and I'm going to load up my T-56 and get my **** out of there. I will be scheduling it with the new shop on Friday, he said he can't get to it till next week sometime. Let's hope for better service this time around
Old 04-13-2016, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hope it works out this time!! Sorry you are going through this... Hope it gets squared away.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

yeah this next shop comes highly recommended from a personal friend locally who is an Fbody guy. I have a good feeling about this next one.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:56 PM

Damn that swung on a dime. Twice. With these wild emotional swings I'm getting whiplash!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Damn. Hang in there man. It's a great set up for a street car when done right. Makes WOT pulls way more fun. Throw in a new shifter down the road and it gets even better.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

I already have a short throw shifter in there
Old 04-14-2016, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

take the $ if the shop is offering. Otherwise small claims court
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully the next install will go better. Even though I'm upset with how long I have been without my car, the shop agreed to pay for the damages. So I have printed off all the instructions from monster's site, as well as from Tick's site for the Master Cylinder. I also printed off the pictures from a thread on here explaining exactly what they should measure when checking for a shim. I refuse to let a simple clutch install cost me almost $3K. So this shop is going to do what they told me they could until they get it right. When looking at the facts here, the clutch install went fine, the lack of knowledge with adjusting the master cylinder is what caused all the headaches. So hopefully with printed instructions and I highlighted Tick's phone number, the install will go a bit smoother and as it should.

UPDATE: Well when I went there and presented the shop with the invoice from Monster and all the instructions and pictures i printed off and highlighted for them they decided to try and blame me for everything saying I trashed the clutch somehow. So I yelled at them pretty good explaining how they trashed my perfectly good stock clutch, trashed my new parts, charged for me a tow after breaking down, not bleeding my brakes, not adjusting my master cylinder and taking 4 weeks when I was promised a 24 hour turnaround. They did offer to let me pick up a check tomorrow for the price of fixing my new parts, but I'm just going to tell them I don't want their dirty money that they probably stole from someone else and I'll be showing up with a tow truck tomorrow after work to pick up my car and I'm going to load up my T-56 and get my **** out of there. I will be scheduling it with the new shop on Friday, he said he can't get to it till next week sometime. Let's hope for better service this time around
So you're taking a $3k bath... and paying additional money for another shop to do it? WTF?

Quick Reply: Tick Master installed Adjustment question