Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stock t-56 shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock t-56 shifter

Is there a way that I can rebuild my stock shifter so that it is not so sloppy? I have found a few short throws I like but am not ready to spend 4 to 500 on one yet.

If anyone has a recommendation please let me know.

The b&m is a pos from what I've heard/read.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The factory shifters were sloppier right off the bat due to their extra length and the sound/vibration rubber isolation coupling. I don't know if they are other than "loose" even when brand new. When my car was new the shifter came off right away so it's basically "new." I don't see a whole lot that can get sloppier. One option is to unbolt the upper shifter handle and attach a shorter aftermarket version. That will give you direct coupling and a tighter, shorter feel. There can't be a shortage of old 5"-7" shifter handles laying around. Just find something that has the same 2 bolt pattern. Use a rubber gasket of some sort on that upper shaft to act as a vibration dampener. You will get more noise and vibration in the cabin than you had before.

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-02-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The stock shifter is one of those things that I'm hesitant to say you should spend money on. If you can hold off for a bit I'm sure and MGW or something will pop up used on the classifieds for < $200.

Quick Reply: Stock t-56 shifter