Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Decelerating Noise in 5th-6th

Hello all.
Long time lurker here, 1st post..
I have an LS FD Rx7

I am having a concerning issue with my trans, & I'm just trying to gauge possible culprits.

When I am decelerating at highway speeds, (low speeds in high gears too (mainly 5th and 6th gear)) I hear a nasty noise coming from the trans. Feels like its directly at the rear of the trans.
Its a sort of grindy, whiny, slop noise...

The car drives, shifts, functions, moves perfectly, (in low gears you would never know somethings wrong) but in higher gears decelerating I hear it quite loud.. Its hard to tell if it does it while accelerating, over engine noise..

I just had the U joints replaced hoping that may have been it, the car is a bit smoother, and less jerky but its irrelevant.

I couldn't find anything online too definitive, or with exact relevant symptoms with other people, so figured id ask here.
What I can gather is possible output shaft, miss-shim, or other worn bearings...
I'm not overly transmission literate, But I'm sure I will be after this..

Its going to be a few weeks before I can have the means to pull the tranny.

Thank you,

Last edited by rd335iaz; 04-15-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

What diff is out back and how many miles? Typically it will be the diff in higher mileage cars as the lash has changed over time especially with added power. Have you also measured your driveline angles?
Old 04-23-2016, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to check is the 5th-6th cluster in the transmission. They have been known to come loose and wobble causing driveline noise.

Quick Reply: T-56 Decelerating Noise in 5th-6th