Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1-LS1 Input Shaft and Front Plate - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1-LS1 Input Shaft and Front Plate - HELP!

Hey guys,
I really need some help here. I have an LT1 T56 that I need to put behind an LS1. I bought the Rockland Standard Gear kit that has a new input shaft, front plate, shims, etc.

I've torn apart the front of my LT1 T56 and realize I have no idea what I'm doing. Please bear with me, and I'll to explain where I'm at. I've never been inside of these transmissions before and thought this would be simple... but apparently I messed something up.

I pulled the front plate off, removed the LT1 input shaft, and was left with this:
Name:  IMG_0937_zpsbebvc7lj.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  193.2 KB

There is a gear here that looks like it goes between the input shaft and the transmission:
This gear:
Name:  IMG_0939_zpskwszbi9a.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  208.4 KB

Goes here?
Name:  IMG_0940_zps9mlpg4k5.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  170.9 KB

This is the new LS1 input shaft:

And the backside of it has a bearing race in there, but the input shaft doesn't want to slide all the way on, it feels like the race is in the way:
Name:  IMG_0938_zps63o1svj3.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  174.0 KB

And then I have the new front plate that has two bearing races in them. The one that the input shaft goes into seems fine, but the one that the other shaft goes into seems like it's wedged in there:
Name:  IMG_0942_zpsfdz6eyql.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  228.2 KB

Help me put this thing back together! I hope this makes sense, let me know if you need more info. Feel free to call me a dumbass!

There are a ton of shims in there, that I need to throw in here somewhere, the input shaft won't go on (the bearing race is stuck in there), and the front plate has the bottom bearing race wedged in there and I can't get it out.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: LT1-LS1 Input Shaft and Front Plate - HELP!