Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 tail shaft leaking what sealant

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default T56 tail shaft leaking what sealant

My tail shaft is leaking where it glues together to the case. I assume to just use black rtv but I figured I'd ask. Also when I pull that off is anything gonna fall out that isn't obvious to put back.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used "great stuff" the black one when I rebuilt my trans, works well. You are talking about the whole tail shaft housing, not just the shafts seal, correct? In order to get the housing off you need to remove the shifter cup piece with a punch and I believe you need to remove the speed sensor on one side of the housing. I don't remember fully but I don't think anything will just "fall out" when you slide it off, I'm assuming you're doing it on the car so you don't have the option of keeping it upright.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DisgruntledWs6
I used "great stuff" the black one when I rebuilt my trans, works well. You are talking about the whole tail shaft housing, not just the shafts seal, correct? In order to get the housing off you need to remove the shifter cup piece with a punch and I believe you need to remove the speed sensor on one side of the housing. I don't remember fully but I don't think anything will just "fall out" when you slide it off, I'm assuming you're doing it on the car so you don't have the option of keeping it upright.
Yea the entire tail shaft housing. It's seeping a little. I'll get some right stuff if it worked for you. I definately don't want to do it twice. Thanks
Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah its "the right stuff" not great stuff lol my bad. I rebuilt my t56 about 3500 miles ago and it's sealed good still, just make sure you clean both surfaces good and let it "tack up" for a few minutes before putting it back together

Quick Reply: T56 tail shaft leaking what sealant