Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Remote reservoir hose Q...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Remote reservoir hose Q...

Hi All,

My Rambler project has a reverse-hung triple Wilwood pedal box with a Tilton remote-mount triple reservoir with 3/8" barbed outlets. The Tilton instructions state "Warning: PTFE, EPDM or SBR hose must be used." I have a limited area to work in and need 3/8" ID hose that has a minimal bend radius. Not sure any of the above hoses will work. Can you think of a logical reason for this disclaimer? There's zero pressure/vacuum and it's strictly gravity fed with lines about 8" to 10" long. I've looked at McMaster-Carr and they have some silicone hose that's more "bendy" than those above. I plan on dropping Tilton a line, but in the meantime, am open to suggestions!
Old 04-28-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine definitely has a vacuum put on it when I push the pedal in. My lines are probably 18" or more long and they are lower than the m/c. When I push the pedal, simple gravity would not feed the m/c fast enough and it would run dry. You could collapse the hoses.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

My res sits higher by 4" or 5", but I will need to use 90° 1/8" NPT x 3/8" hose fittings on the masters, which could be somewhat of an obstruction. If I use straight adapters, I'll end up with sideways "S" bends and potential high-spot voids that could trap air. Waiting on Tilton's reply/advice...
Old 04-29-2016, 04:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

The issue is brake fluid, nothing else.

Some hoses will sweat a little and get a buildup on the outside of the hose. Not actually sure if it's just water or brake fluid or something. No big deal but it can look bad.

I just used cheap rubber cloth overbraid hose and it works fine with no signs of sweating, but I'd say the cloth just soaks it up.
Ordinary fuel hose would always have been damp on the outside.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Straight from Tilton:

Hello Russell,

We put that warning because these materials are proven to stand up to brake fluid. Customers have tried using fuel line or vacuum hose from a local auto parts store, but the grade of rubber used in these lines/hoses do not stand up well to brake fluid.

I am not familiar with the compatibility of silicone surgical tubing and brake fluid. We have never tested it. On the other hand, I have seen customers use it. I just don't know if they have experienced problems of it degrading over time.

Contact me if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Kirk Skaufel

office: 805.688.2353 x113 | fax: 805.688.2745
Tilton Engineering, Inc. | 25 Easy Street / P.O. Box 1787 | Buellton, CA 93427 U.S.A.
Guess I'd rather try and find the recommended hose so I don't have a bunch of grief replacing the stuff after it's all together and painted. I'll go back to McMaster and take another look...
Old 04-30-2016, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

This is a EDPM hose for hydraulic brake hose

http://www.veyance.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=6334

With that said I have had SAE 30R6 KX on for years I got at NAPA by the foot. Fuel line but has ZERO signs of weeping or sweating brake fluid from my reservoir. YMMV

Gates ADAPTA FLEX hose is EDPM
Attached Thumbnails Remote reservoir hose Q...-mcleod-mc-resovoir-line.jpg  

Last edited by BALLSS; 04-30-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I got more clearance than I thought, gonna go with 90° pushlock hose fittings for the masters and hose clamps on the reservoir.

Quick Reply: Remote reservoir hose Q...