Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GTO Shifter on F-body T56 Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO Shifter on F-body T56 Question

Hello LS community! I have a 1995 Nissan 240SX with a LS1/T56 out of a 2000 Camaro SS. The swap kit I used (CXRacing, never again) forces the use of a GTO shifter assembly because of how far forward the transmissions sits. I am using a GTO Max Performance Short Throw Shifter (GMM Ripshifter knock off). Other than reverse being a chore, it goes into all of the gears with the car off with ease. While I am driving, it grinds while trying to shift into second gear, I have not tried any of the other even gears out because the car is uninsured so I haven't taken it off of my street until I iron out all of the kinks like leaks and other things. It goes into 1st and 3rd cleanly. With the car off and the car shifted into second, the shifter/nuts/bolts do not interfere with the shift plate and that required a generous amount of cutting and grinding. Measuring the throw from neutral to 1st is about 1 5/8", from neutral to 2nd is about 1 1/2". What I am wondering is if I need a new "shifting saddle" off of a GTO T56 (I think that is the term). It's the piece where the ball of the shifter slides into with the roller pin on top. If I test drive the car again this week I will try 4th gear and see if it does the same with second gear and let you guys know. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your shifter is designed for a GTO model, then you will need the GTO ( longer) offset lever.... the piece you call a saddle.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is what you need:

http://www.tickperformance.com/treme...lever-for-gto/
Old 05-06-2016, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

If you are using an FBody gearbox, then NO you should not be using a GTO shifter.

Unless you swap the shift cup for that from a GTO.

Quick Reply: GTO Shifter on F-body T56 Question