Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Application questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Application questions

As you can see in my signature, I'm looking at putting the 'T-56 I have in my possesssion into my 3rd Gen conversion.

I do a lot of long distance highway driving with this car, but we also have a local car club that includes several f-bodies (3rd & 4th gen), an '04 Vette, some older model Chevelles, and an old GTO. Most of them are running Gen II SBC's, except for the Vette, an '01 Camaro SS, and myself (who obviously have LS1s).

So basically, what I'm trying to build is a daily driver that I can also kick someone's *** with once in a while.

I've heard the A4 with a decent TC gets a better ET, but I'm also thinking about gas mileage. I know, I know - people who drive (and mod!) these cars shouldn't be thinking about mileage, BUT with the amount of miles I travel and the current cost of gas, it certainly has me thinking.

Questions:

1.) The '01 engine package I have came with an A4. Is it as simple as bolting up the '99 T56, swapping PCMs, and installing the pedals? OR is there more to this conversion than this?

2.) Will I have any problems with a '99 tranny and an '01 engine? My intuition says no, but I know they changed things a few times on these engines.

3.) Will the mods I have listed drop my mileage down regardless, so it won't matter so much which tranny I use? Or, will the extra power help make that 6th gear more practical to use?

4.) I believe I have either 3.23 or 3.42 in the rear. I'm thinking 4.10 would be a better match for the T56 with my mods. Yes? No?

5.) Finally, I still have the stock 10-bolt rear in my 89 Formula. A 12 bolt is in the future, but may have to wait till next spring ($$$ is getting short!!) Assuming I do the M6 swap, what kind of RPMs should I launch from with STREET RADIALS to make sure I don't break anything? Will sticky tires change this much, or should I forget about those completely till I get the 12-bolt?

I've learned a lot off this forum - looking to learn a bit more, here!

Adam
Old 06-17-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 06-17-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

An A4 will net more consistent ET's, I don't know that it would be any quicker until you get REALLY quick. I'm no expert, but I will answer your questions as best I can.

1. As long as the T-56 was behind an LS1 and you are putting it on an LS1 it should work fine. Edited: the PCM does need the OS rewritten to go from A4 to M6. A dealer or possibly HPTuners Pro can do this.

2. Not that I can think of. The reverse lockout and CAGS are really the only hookups electrically I'm aware of.

3. Mods will affect fuel economy. Gears and cam will probably make the most impact.

4. 4.10's work well with a regular T-56 (M6) if you get a hold of an MN12 (GTO tranny) then 3.90's would be my suggestion. When I do gears I will be doing 3.90's because I'm afraid 4.10's would be a little much in 1st gear (I don't have any plans to run slicks or DR's). The consensus does seem to be to go with 4.10's though.

5. With street tires on the street I usually launch about 2000-2500 depending on the street surface. At the track with street tires I was able to dump around 3500 and hook with just a light burnout in the VHT (skirt the water box). Several guys with 10 bolts survive OK with modded 10 bolts with street tires in my club. Although I would put a beefier axle in my near future.

As for your fuel economy question I still average 25-27 in mixed driving with the mods in my sig. I can still average over 30 with just highway driving. Keep in mind this is a C5 which is light and aerodynamic. Most of my friends with modded F-cars can still get in the mid to high 20's on the highway. As far as cams, don't bother with the Z06. Get at least a TR 224 or bigger.

Last edited by 99C5JA; 06-17-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, thanks!! That was very helpful.

Adam

Quick Reply: Application questions