Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Opinions on clutch issue - just worn out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Opinions on clutch issue - just worn out?

Car is a '95 with mostly stock LT1, unknown mileage on the clutch but good pedal feel and no issues for the last 3000 miles or so that I've owned it.

The clutch slipped on a hard auto-X launch on hot race tires once and it took a second to realize what was happening . After that it seemed fine in normal street driving and I've launched it hard multiple times without issue but every now and then it won't hold a launch / burnout.

Is it time to replace the clutch or could there be something else up? Did I just cook it that first time it slipped? I'm relatively new to the T56 and don't want to throw money at parts unnecessarily.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

your symptoms are a clutch wearing. "unknown mileage" and assume some "aggressive use with P.O....

with that said just "driving" it could last for several more years....but if it is slipping occasionally when you do hard launch it won't get any better, just worse

for a stock bolt on car a store brand organic disc clutch will be like a new OEM. LUK is often the clutch brand sold at various chain auto part stores boxd under whatever store brand the chain is.

You can buy a Autozone clutch for about $200 IIRC and then get the McLeod DF disc for around $175. The DF disc will handle more abuse and hold better than just a organic disc.

All clutch companies use the same clone LT4 PP so it comes down to disc material and construction as the differences for LT1 "pull" clutches
Old 06-22-2016, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. I got a shop's opinion yesterday while I was in getting tires mounted and they agreed that it was just worn out. There's hardly any free play in the pedal.

Good advice on the clutch combo, I will definitely look into it. Is the part number for the dual friction disc 261571?
Old 06-22-2016, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rentedmule
. Is the part number for the dual friction disc 261571?
yes

if your hydraulics are original 20 year old...might want to replace them. You can buy the whole sealed system for around $125 IIRC from rockauto.com
Old 06-23-2016, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

That sounds like a good idea. I intend on running the car pretty hard so it's probably better to get rid of the weak points up front.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

It has been several years since I ran that type of clutch combo but it worked well when I did have a basically stock motor with some bolt ons. I now have a McLeod Street Twin for my 383

$ likely have gone up some as I see the McLeod disc is around $215 and the Autozone kit is $220. That gets you close to what some clutch companies $ are for their versions of the same set-up only the PP will be painted whatever color their brand is.

When I did buy the sealed hydraulics from rockauto it was exactly the same maker as OEM but sold under another brand (PowerMaster IIRC)

Get your stock FW resurfaced and replace the pilot bearing. Autozone has the "loan-a-tool" program and they have a blind hole puller that makes removal of the pilot easy. I used a 6" piece of wood closet hanger dowel and hammer to pound in the new pilot bearing. Just don't beat it in with a hammer directly, use a piece of wood
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on clutch issue - just worn out?-pilot-bearing-puller-27128.jpg  

Quick Reply: Opinions on clutch issue - just worn out?