Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

-4 vs -3 Clutch Line

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default -4 vs -3 Clutch Line

Hey guys, trying to chase down an issue with my clutch setup. I have a LS1/T56 in a RHD Nissan S14. I am using the stock GTO master cylinder, with -4 AN fittings and braided line down to a new slave and mantic single plate clutch setup. I am 99% sure it has no air in it, but is impossible to get into reverse with the engine running, and hard to get into first. Once driving low rpm gear changes are OK, but impossible to change quickly at WOT. I notice every other setup I see uses -3 clutch line, I can't see it making any difference .. but could this be an issue with my setup?
Old 06-24-2016, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
Old 06-26-2016, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either flow enough to operate. The difference I could see would be the -4 would allow bubbles to creep up more easily and make it harder to bleed. I use -3 in my RX.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt that is your problem. I swapped a tr6060 into my tbss and I'm running a -4 line with no problems whatsoever.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Not enough disengagement. You might try a TICK shim behind your clutch slave if you're positive there's no more air in the system and everything else is good. When you get it apart do the measurements to determine the thickness size you'll need. The procedure is on their site. They work well for this very issue. Doubt it's line related.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by 64post
Not enough disengagement. You might try a TICK shim behind your clutch slave if you're positive there's no more air in the system and everything else is good. When you get it apart do the measurements to determine the thickness size you'll need. The procedure is on their site. They work well for this very issue. Doubt it's line related.
This. The clutch is not fully releasing so the flywheel and pressure plate are dragging the disk, not enough to make the car move, but enough to cause shifting problems. I've used both AN3 and AN4 lines without any issues.

Make sure there is no air in the system. What kind of clutch are you using?

Andrew

Quick Reply: -4 vs -3 Clutch Line