Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 countershaft endplay ODD shim size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default T56 countershaft endplay ODD shim size?

So apparently my countershaft endplay as measured per the service manual for the T56 shows .043" endplay. I'm shooting for the tighter end of the spec at .002" preload, thus I would need a .045" countershaft shim.

I ordered the conversion kit from Rockland Standard gear to convert an older LTx T56 to LSx T56 and the shim packs that they provided only have shims in the range of thirty some odd thousandths of an inch. And, one shim that I think started as about .055" which I have slowly lapped down to .053" with sandpaper. Nothing in between these sizes.

Has anyone encountered this? I've called around and spoken with various people including making a trip to the stealership and there is no shim pack made that has a shim of .045" like I seem to require on my T56 countershaft. Or so I'm told.

The countershaft shim that was under the bearing race in the LTx front plate was .044", so it would be out of spec for this trans with the new LSx front plate on according to the measurements. This indicates that a shim at least close to what I NEED existed at some point.

I think I might be able to lay a piece of glass down and lap the thicker countershaft shim to size. Thinking using a palm sander with careful even pressure, moving around in random directions and measuring periodically it could be done although very slowly.

Any thoughts or input on this? It appears that alternative shims aren't available for purchase therefore my only choice is to lap down this thick one.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:36 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dealer may have availability of:
0.012 through 0.044 even, plus
0.023 through 0.043 odd sizes.
Use two.
Or check with a differential shop, who can probably get you set up with shims that will work.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are right, I went back to the stealership and asked them what the thinnest shim they could get for the countershaft and the parts guy told me .012". I'll put that with the .033" from my existing shim pack and will have .045"..... Not sure how I didn't discover this yesterday but I'm back on the right track now. Shim cost about $7 and should be here tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: T56 countershaft endplay ODD shim size?