Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 locked output shaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 locked output shaft

Hey guys, I searched and didn't find anything on this but if anyone knows of a previous thread please link it.

OK, so I'm building an LS 240 (like ya do), 5.3 with a T56. The T56 I bought was from an LT car, so I ordered the adapter kit from Rockland Standard Gear, did the swap, everythings good. Turn nice, no slop....good to go. I bolt the trans up to the motor, install it all in the car, put the driveshaft in. Can't turn the driveshaft. Need channel locks on the driveshaft to turn it. Saturday, we pulled everything, I had a friend put the driveshaft in and turn it while we loosened the bell housing (QuickTime) and the output shaft freed up. Leads me to believe the input shaft is too long, and putting a heavy preload on the main shaft bearing. Has anyone come across an issue like this, and know a solution? I went through the trans part number with Rockland when I bought the trans to make sure it was the right trans for the swap, and it was the right one. Thanks in advance for any help. It's really appreciated.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You're pretty obviously bottomed out. (This time, it's not a good feeling)
The LT to LS kit will have a maindrive (input shaft) for 98-02 Camaro.

The bellhousing should be 98-02 F-body / 04-06 GTO depth of 140mm.

The most likely problem: The pilot bearing / bushing needs to be the smaller one that sits further into the crank. Not the bigger one that sits where a torque converter snout normally seats.

Failing that, Measurements and pictures would help.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
You're pretty obviously bottomed out. (This time, it's not a good feeling)
The LT to LS kit will have a maindrive (input shaft) for 98-02 Camaro.

The bellhousing should be 98-02 F-body / 04-06 GTO depth of 140mm.

The most likely problem: The pilot bearing / bushing needs to be the smaller one that sits further into the crank. Not the bigger one that sits where a torque converter snout normally seats.

Failing that, Measurements and pictures would help.

Thank you!! Actually wanted to reapond yesterday and say that the problem was found. And you were indeed right. Had the wrong pilot bearing. Good thing I'm using an iron block cause I've heard of people breaking their blocks in situations like this. Thank you so much for the input and help. Got the new bearing. Gonna put all back together this weekend.

Quick Reply: T56 locked output shaft