Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Performance Master Clylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I dunno, this guy may be right. Just wondering why he is asking for $100 more than the thing sells for?

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...-firebird-ls1/

Not sure what I paid, but it was a lot less than that on a group buy. Still in a box so can't comment on anything but price, but still......$100 discrepancy.
Maybe he paid for next day air or some other quicker shipping method. $75 discrepancy anyway.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Alright. I've cleaned up this thread and trimmed the edges around the tech discussion that actually belongs in the tech forums. The Tech Forums are not Angie's List, but we do have proper sections for that sort of thing.

To SAPPER's comments, nothing in the OP's thread seems shocking to an experienced member. This is not an OEM part with OEM fitment and it is well-established that the part is not one for a rushed novice install. (An experienced mechanic is still a novice the first time they work with a certain type of car or part...)

whatsa347 pretty well summed up the engineering profession. The other cool thing is that on the internet, we can all be whoever we want to be...

Hopefully some of the other information in this thread will help keep others from getting over their heads or be prepared for the extra effort it takes to install the part.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Okay people let's back up here. First of all, my original post was edited highly. The Tick CMC is just a Tilton with a bunch of billet attached to it. They upgrade the line a bit too.

The stock cylinder from GM actually is a better piece of engineering, and the C5 cylinder which is the "improved" cylinder is far longer... maybe 2-3 inches longer than the Tilton. Really the Tilton is a weaker cylinder... it's smaller so it pumps less fluid! Therefore it's weaker.

Another dumb thing is that the pedal will be sticking to the floor with the Tilton. This is not a cool thing, it's a dumb thing. There is nothing wrong with the C5 Corvette MC. It works very well in the Camaro SS. It is one of those OEM parts that cannot be improved upon.

Also, i'm not just trusting what my transmission mechanic said. The main problem with the Tick is the Tilton. It's really not a great cylinder. It's actually the cheapest cylinder $$$ can buy.

The stock cylinder pushes more fluid. Period. Don't believe me? Drop it in some Dextron 3 and suck it up in a bucket!

<Insulting, non-technical comments removed... again>

Last edited by wssix99; 08-18-2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: inappropriate comments removed
Old 08-18-2016, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackenedss
Okay people let's back up here. First of all, my original post was edited highly. The Tick CMC is just a Tilton with a bunch of billet attached to it. They upgrade the line a bit too.

The stock cylinder from GM actually is a better piece of engineering, and the C5 cylinder which is the "improved" cylinder is far longer... maybe 2-3 inches longer than the Tilton. Really the Tilton is a weaker cylinder... it's smaller so it pumps less fluid! Therefore it's weaker.

Another dumb thing is that the pedal will be sticking to the floor with the Tilton. This is not a cool thing, it's a dumb thing. There is nothing wrong with the C5 Corvette MC. It works very well in the Camaro SS. It is one of those OEM parts that cannot be improved upon.

Also, i'm not just trusting what my transmission mechanic said. The main problem with the Tick is the Tilton. It's really not a great cylinder. It's actually the cheapest cylinder $$$ can buy.

The stock cylinder pushes more fluid. Period. Don't believe me? Drop it in some Dextron 3 and suck it up in a bucket!
You have a part number for this C5 master? What years? I looked up several between the 97-04 years and they didn't look like they would match up with our Camaro.

Last edited by wssix99; 08-18-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Not sure if the Luk CMC is any good, but I know that their clutches are pretty good. I don't think everyone needs a $1000 clutch to get a good feel.

Originally Posted by Q3131A
I thought this $325 miracle had a lifetime warrenty...

You just scared me out of my order. I just ordered a $39 Luk from rockauto.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Well, that sucks. Did you get the guys name? Every place has at least one guy who's a dick. Summit has at least 5 or 6.

Hope it gets better from here. I've seen where the aftermarket one now has an aluminum body. Never really seen one or researched it much further than seeing it online.
Staging Lane

Not sure if the Luk CMC is any good, but I know that their clutches are pretty good. I don't think everyone needs a $1000 clutch to get a good feel.
Like I said above, was in a hurry to get a CMC and was ready to bit the bullet on a tick and simultaneously saw this thread. Just went with the Luk and another part for a second vehicle I needed also. They're already in the mail. I just have to get this thing moving again.
Teching In

This is EXACTLY what I am refferring to here. There is no performance gain to this thing at all. None.

Look at how the stock one for the C5 is longer. It also has a better feel. These are hydraulic clutches. The pedal snaps back because of the pressure from the fluid, not a spring.

What is PARAMOUNT is how the mechanic adjusts the FORKS and the CLUTCH assembly as a whole. The Tick cylinder will just make your life harder.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Teching In

There is one snag when you use the C5 cylinder... you have to order the longer hydraulic line as a different piece. That part number I don't have but I don't think it's too tough to find.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Surprised someone from Tick hasn't chimed in yet. I'd love to hear their thoughts and/or side of the story.

Does the C5 unit "fix" any of the factory problems that the Tick is supposed to address?
Old 08-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Teching In

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...FQKNaQodoaELig
Old 08-18-2016, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So many holes again...

If the GM unit is better why does it lock you out of gear at high RPMs on a stock clutch in a totally stock car? Why does it leave the peddle feeling spongy? Why does the tick in FACT fix this issue? The tick MC pushes WAY more fluid, Ive blead the stock and the tick unit, it pushed out a ton more.
While the C5 unit might be better than the fbody one, C5 guys are still having troubles with aftermarket clutches and are having to upgrade their MC.

Another dumb thing is that the pedal will be sticking to the floor with the Tilton.
???
The peddle sticks to the floor with the stock unit, not the tick unit. If the tick unit is sticking to the floor you need to adjust it.

Sounds like your mechanic has little experience with aftermarket parts and probably suggest buying an OEM because it would be easier to install and wouldn't require him to adjust it. Either way good luck shifting at high RPMs...

Look at how the stock one for the C5 is longer. It also has a better feel. These are hydraulic clutches. The pedal snaps back because of the pressure from the fluid, not a spring.
Irony at its best. The stock setup has a SPRING on the clutch peddle(yet still gets stuck down) tick suggest removing this spring when installing their MC.

Last edited by wssix99; 08-18-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

This is EXACTLY what I am refferring to here. There is no performance gain to this thing at all. None.

What is PARAMOUNT is how the mechanic adjusts the FORKS and the CLUTCH assembly as a whole. The Tick cylinder will just make your life harder.

How does that round thing attach to our cars?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Well he jig is up here folks. The moderators have told me i'm not allowed to say anything more about Tick's because they are one of their paid advertisers. $$$ wins out every time. I'm quite sure this post will vaporize by tomorrow morning.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Longer doesn't mean "better" or "stronger" or even that it will move more fluid. The Tilton cylinder has a bigger piston so it doesn't have to move as far to move the same fluid. It's shorter because it doesn't need to be longer. Mine fully disengages my clutch with hardly any pedal movement. It doesn't need to be longer.

A pedal can stick to the floor with any CMC if you have air in it or a leaking cylinder. This is not exclusive to the Tick MC.

Actually the clutch pressure plate is what makes the pedal snap back. Of course it can stay down if you have air or a leak in the system. The fluid just moves, something else has to push it back.

There are no fork or clutch adjustments on a LS1 t56. You can shim the slave, but that's about it on the transmission end of things. Even if there were, a Tick MC wouldn't make life harder. It's just a MC with an adjustable rod, that doesn't affect adjusting a clutch fork or slave at all.

I've got a stock CMC in my 01 TA and a Tick in my GTA with a stage 2 Monster clutch. The stock one is too soft and requires too much travel for me. I much prefer the feel of my Tick with the upgraded clutch. People have complained about the pedal effort on the same set up, but a person would have to have some seriously weak legs to feel like it's too strong. Also a lot of people don't know not to hold their clutch in the whole time they are at a red light, and then they complain about pedal effort.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

OP, before it vaporizes can you give me the info on how the C5 CMC mounts to our cars?
Old 08-19-2016, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

the Tick clutch master cylinder was probably one of the best inventions for the 6-speed F-body

i have the McLeod with the wilwood master cylinder and it works great also
Old 08-19-2016, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well he jig is up here folks. The moderators have told me i'm not allowed to say anything more about Tick's because they are one of their paid advertisers. $$$ wins out every time. I'm quite sure this post will vaporize by tomorrow morning.
Youve been here since 2012 and don't know you can't bash sponsors that pay to have this site stay online?
In your case you are FALSELY bashing, as in just about everything you are saying is wrong, I still feel like we are missing something in this story that you are not telling, as you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited by wssix99; 08-19-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'd like to hear from Tick on this too. Not everyone has had a good experience with them and the occasional negative user review is a good mechanism to help expose a problem, should one exist.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Mr./Mrs. Blackenedss has been told nothing of the sort and there is fine positive and negative discussion of sponsors and their products here. Mr./Mrs. Blackenedss' edited comments were inappropriate for/to any member of this site and only the foul language and personal attacks were removed.

Mr./Mrs. Blackenedss has chosen not to abide by our site rules, after much coaching and encouragement, and will be taking a vacation as a result. We can see if this member picks things up positively in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Tick Performance Master Clylinder