Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration problem

i did a energy suspension poly tranny mount swap on my 97 ss 6 speed and ive noticed now that on the hwy the car has a lot of vibration...it feels like its coming from the rear somewhere...would this have anything to do with the vibration? i did jack up the tranny to get the old mount out
Old 08-17-2016, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

The poly mount will transfer more vibration than the rubber mount. If you have poly motor & tranny mounts, even more.

Many, including me, who have poly motor mounts run the rubber tranny mount

jacking up the tranny didn't cause it

IDK if your poly mount is exactly same height as the one you took out so confirm nothing is grounding
Old 08-18-2016, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
The poly mount will transfer more vibration than the rubber mount. If you have poly motor & tranny mounts, even more.

Many, including me, who have poly motor mounts run the rubber tranny mount

jacking up the tranny didn't cause it

IDK if your poly mount is exactly same height as the one you took out so confirm nothing is grounding
yeah they were damn close the same height...the vibration almost feels like something is out of balance
Old 08-18-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the poly mounts will transfer more vibration than stock rubber...so now you may be feeling some that were there before.

If the poly tranny mount is slightly shorter (thus lowering the engine) you "may" now have some "grounding" of exhaust on frame or something so look for that type of thing

your drive shaft may need balancing

do you have lower than stock rear gears?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Poly mount will sometimes affect pinion angles. If pinion angles are off, it'll vibrate
Old 08-18-2016, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Poly mount will sometimes affect pinion angles. If pinion angles are off, it'll vibrate
thats prolly whats happening...can u adjust the stock torque arm for correct pinion angle? all my suspension is stock except the lowering spings which i didnt install and my rims are 18s
Old 08-18-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by mrliftalot
thats prolly whats happening...can u adjust the stock torque arm for correct pinion angle? all my suspension is stock except the lowering spings which i didnt install and my rims are 18s
Yes and no. You can shim the tailshaft up or down. Either shimming under the mount or between crossmember and frame.

Best thing to do is ignore the really complicated explanations on pinion angles. After its all said and done, the angles at both ends of the DS need to be the same.

Measure the trans angle using of all things the engine dampener. Measure the rear yoke angle using a socket on the U joint cap - make sure it's the one for the pinion yoke, not the one for the DS. If the trans angle is larger, shim the tail of the transmission up. If the pinion angle is bigger, put shims between the frame and trans cross member to lower it.

Mine went from 6 and 3 to 4 and 4. I had to shim the tailshaft up

Quick Reply: vibration problem