Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6 speed shift knobs

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016 | 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Default 6 speed shift *****

So I don't really like the stock **** on my shifter, does this thing unscrew or do I have to replace the whole lever?
I searched some for ***** and didn't find a whole lot, I liked the Hurst T-Handle on my old 4 speed car but haven't found a direct replacement to fit my shifter yet. I've only had the car about a week so haven't had much time to check it out since I've been working 70 hours a week and it's not my daily driver. What are people using on these 6 speeds? (2001 SS).
I'd like a Hurst T-handle or maybe an 8 ball or like size **** of some kind. I found a few with the 6 speed pattern on eBay and that's about it so far.
Old 10-08-2016 | 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Well I just found this, looks like it might be the ticket?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-HURST...FWedTc&vxp=mtr
Old 10-08-2016 | 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Then again I kind'a like this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GLOW-BLUE-BL...BVzSvW&vxp=mtr

Last edited by y2keglide; 10-08-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2016 | 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by y2keglide
So I don't really like the stock **** on my shifter, does this thing unscrew or do I have to replace the whole lever?
I searched some for ***** and didn't find a whole lot, I liked the Hurst T-Handle on my old 4 speed car but haven't found a direct replacement to fit my shifter yet. I've only had the car about a week so haven't had much time to check it out since I've been working 70 hours a week and it's not my daily driver. What are people using on these 6 speeds? (2001 SS).
I'd like a Hurst T-handle or maybe an 8 ball or like size **** of some kind. I found a few with the 6 speed pattern on eBay and that's about it so far.
Do yourself a favor and buy an aftermarket shifter like the MGW or hinson, if you are using the stock hurst shifter its like rowing a boat in comparison.
Old 10-08-2016 | 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Do yourself a favor and buy an aftermarket shifter like the MGW or hinson, if you are using the stock hurst shifter its like rowing a boat in comparison.
I'll look into that at some point, budget is a little thin right now but that **** has got to go.
Old 10-09-2016 | 08:39 AM
Save the manuals!
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by y2keglide
I'll look into that at some point, budget is a little thin right now but that **** has got to go.
The **** is fine. Once you get a decent shifter on the car, you'll find that a pistol grip handle is probably going to be what you need to shift effectively.

If you do end up putting lipstick on the pig - keep your old handle. You'll want it back in the future. Yes, it just unscrews. There are no set screws or anything.

BTW - 6th speed is an overdrive gear and actually slower than 4 and 5, ^ so that ball up there is for... Well, it's just not correct.
Old 10-09-2016 | 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
The **** is fine. Once you get a decent shifter on the car, you'll find that a pistol grip handle is probably going to be what you need to shift effectively.

If you do end up putting lipstick on the pig - keep your old handle. You'll want it back in the future. Yes, it just unscrews. There are no set screws or anything.

BTW - 6th speed is an overdrive gear and actually slower than 4 and 5, ^ so that ball up there is for... Well, it's just not correct.
Thanks, you answered the basic question I asked, I didn't want to start reefing on the **** to figure out if it unscrews. I just got a laugh out of the FN fast shift ****, not hard to tell 6th is an OD that's for sure. I may go with the Hurst T-handle,never really liked the feel of the pistol grip. I had the T-handle on the 4 speed in my '69 and it just felt right in my hand.
Old 10-09-2016 | 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want to do consistently smooth and minimally damaging shifts, the pistol grip is not the best way to go imo....as gripping and ripping it loses you fine control. If you're just pushing easily forward with your lower palm into 1st and 3rd, and pulling back with a cupped hand into 2nd or 4th, that sure beats the pistol "death" grip that just might lead to more missed and grinding shifts. The big factory ball works just fine to contact the lower palm or fingers. I do wish it was a tiny bit smaller.

Some of the aftermarket or old shift ***** are not accoustically well-silenced. So don't be surprised if your slick looking old style 4 speed ball gives you more cabin noise and vibrations than a stock one. I still use the stock factory leather coated ball on my Hurst short stick. The stock Hurst goose-neck shift **** is probably ok as well for smoother shifts.

http://rangeracceleration.com/Improved_Shifting.html

Last edited by Firebrian; 10-09-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2016 | 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Cool

Originally Posted by Firebrian
If you want to do consistently smooth and minimally damaging shifts, the pistol grip is not the best way to go imo....as gripping it loses you fine control. If you're just pushing forward with your lower palm into 1st and 3rd, and pulling back with a cupped hand into 2nd or 4th, the pistol "death" grip might lead to more missed shifts. The big factory ball works just fine to contact the lower palm or fingers. I do wish it was a tiny bit smaller.

Some of the aftermarket or old shift ***** are not well-silenced. So don't be surprised if you a slick looking old style 4 speed ball gives you more cabin noise and vibrations than a stock one. I still use the stock factory leather coated ball on my Hurst short stick. The stock Hurst goose-neck shift **** is probably ok as well for smooth shifts.
Thanks for the input, I won't be taking my car to the drag strip except maybe once or twice just to see what she'll run as I add a few mods along the way. She's not going to be a daily driver either, just a fun car to take out for some spirited driving on nice days when I have some time off.
I'm a bit more mature having just turned 60 years of age than I was when I got my first Camaro (a '69) back in the 1970's and had to have a lumpy cammed up 427 ground pounder. lol I won't be dumping the clutch doing burnouts or power shifting the gears a lot, it'll be more like just spirited sports car driving on the lovely mountain roads we have here in the PAC NW. I just don't like the feel of that shift ball at all, I understand about death grip shifting not being the way to do it. I drive one of these for a living and it takes some finesse to shift one at all let alone smoothly.

Old 10-09-2016 | 11:00 PM
Save the manuals!
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Firebrian
If you want to do consistently smooth and minimally damaging shifts, the pistol grip is not the best way to go imo....
It must be because I have big hands?

I think my issue with a ball shifter is probably due more to the height of the center console and because I use a short stick. (And my shifter sucks... I think I'm going to try a Hinson next.) With my forearm at a downward slope along the console (to get to a low handle) I find I have more power with the pistol. Perhaps I would not need as much effort with a better shifter?

Last edited by wssix99; 10-10-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-10-2016 | 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

I had a Hurst T on a 5.0 Mustang years ago. Loved how it looked, felt fine everyday driving. But when trying to seriously drive I missed third somewhat often. I dunno, I wouldn't use one again.
Old 10-10-2016 | 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I had a Hurst T on a 5.0 Mustang years ago. Loved how it looked, felt fine everyday driving. But when trying to seriously drive I missed third somewhat often. I dunno, I wouldn't use one again.
Well that's because it was a Ford.
Old 10-15-2016 | 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mgw for the win, I have had the gripper on the last couple cars to the point where I have a spare buried in the garage for the next car........
Attached Thumbnails 6 speed shift knobs-photo568.jpg  
Old 10-15-2016 | 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

what is the tread size for the MGW ****??
Old 10-17-2016 | 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

A short throw is a must. But for some cool *****, check out twistedshifterz. they have some cool ones.
Old 10-17-2016 | 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SAPPER
But for some cool *****, check out twistedshifterz. they have some cool ones.
Wow,they have quite a selection!
Old 05-15-2017 | 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

I really like that MGW shift ball but cant find it on their website
Old 05-15-2017 | 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Forgot I started this thread,I ended up with the sickspeed and I like it just fine.
I also bought the MGW shifter and a Tick adjustable master cylinder

Quick Reply: 6 speed shift knobs