Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Why is spring removal needed for measurement B?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why is spring removal needed for measurement B?

When measuring for a clutch setup, I understand the reasoning behind A and B measurements with one exception. Why must the spring be removed from the slave? Doesn't the slave extend when hydraulic pressure is applied? Wouldn't it already be at the bottom of its travel, per se?

Sorry for the noob question, but I'm just not following needing to have the slave even lower. I would think if the spring is holding it off the bottom, it would always be in contact with the pressure plate fingers, even with no hydraulic force applied.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

When I measured for my clutch, it was too hard for me to compress the spring completely by hand. IMO it makes it easier, and there is no doubt it's all the way compressed. Even when i did that. I had to crack open the slave because just the air pressure did not let me compress it all the way.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately, you still haven't addressed my question. I know the spring is stiff, but if the slave EXTENDS from this position, and isn't at the bottom of its travel already, wouldn't this mean the throwout bearing is ALWAYS riding the pressure plate fingers with the spring in place?
Old 10-29-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 935 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by flyboy129
Unfortunately, you still haven't addressed my question. I know the spring is stiff, but if the slave EXTENDS from this position, and isn't at the bottom of its travel already, wouldn't this mean the throwout bearing is ALWAYS riding the pressure plate fingers with the spring in place?
The bearing is always touching the spring fingers. That's how these things work.

Andrew
Old 10-30-2016, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Yeah. I ended up calling Tick and inquiring. This is what they told me as well. I have successfully installed everything and it is working great.
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Quick Reply: Why is spring removal needed for measurement B?