Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7/RAM LFW or Monster Stage 2/LWF for ~400rwhp LS2 in 2800 lbs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question LS7/RAM LFW or Monster Stage 2/LWF for ~400rwhp LS2 in 2800 lbs?

Trying to get off my *** and work on the project, and need to get a clutch. I see Monster has a sale thru the 1st, so now is as good a time as any. Car info:

92 Miata, should be 2800-2900 pounds when complete
'06 GTO LS2, VRX4/5 (I forget which I got) cam (with rockers), LT's, no cats, factory Z06 air intake.. otherwise pretty much stock.
'05ish Vette IRS with 3.42 gears IIRC
Hoping for 400hp to the ground

Will be daily driven foolishly with road course a few times a year (HPDE stuff, not racing per se) on race rubber, plus dragged on the street and track as needed on street tires.

The question is this:
Stock LS7 with LW flywheel or Monster stage 2 with LW flywheel?

FWIW the LS7 setup (including the heavier LS7 flywheel I believe) appears to be the standard for Flyin' Miata's conversions using the 480hp LS3. Not sure if they use it on the 525hp versions or not but I suspect they may. I've read the LS7 with RAM is roughly the same as stock weight for the GTO setup so really it seems like that is just added holding power and not changing drivability.

I don't want chatter, stockish drivability is the goal. Slightly heavier pedal is ok but don't want horrible. The Miata with the DF setup is pretty livable and it's a shade heavier than stock. Looking for roughly the same.

I'm used to a variety of setups.. former 1.6L turbo miata with big turbo and LW fly/DF setup which took more revs to launch, 1.8L turbo miata with T3 turbo and LW fly/DF setup which isn't bad and doesn't take much to get moving, the 69 Mustang with mild 302 and T5 with heavy fly but DF clutch (and I sort of wish I went LW, I think it could have used it).. so the concept of more revs to launch isn't overly worrisome, especially on a lighter Miata. I don't plan (ha) to add any significant power, so let's say 500hp is max and that is pretty unlikely.

Cost seems to be closish.. $600 for Scoggins LS7 with RAM LW vs. $734 for the Stage 2 Monster (both with hardware and LW fly). I don't want to cheap out though, so the extra $134 isn't a deal breaker. I want it right, not cheap as that is killing me everywhere I look lately!

Do I need to spent more for the Monster, or is the LS7 plenty for my setup?
Is the LS7 with RAM roughly the same weight and drivabiltiy as the stock GTO?

What's the consensus?
Old 12-28-2016, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driven a couple ls7 gtos, was not overly impressed. Love the lvl2 in my v. Has no problem releasing at high rpm unlike the ls7. Both have good street manners
Old 12-29-2016, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Driven a couple ls7 gtos, was not overly impressed. Love the lvl2 in my v. Has no problem releasing at high rpm unlike the ls7. Both have good street manners
lvl2 being the Monster stage 2? You go lightweight flywheel or no?

Given I am moving the engine/tranny out of 3700 pounds and into 2800 pounds, I don't think a lighter fly is going to be that much of a problem so I'm game to do it.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with the 28 lb, mixed reviews on the lighter one but it's mostly due to car weight. I'd take a shot at a lighter flywheel in a lightened application
Old 12-30-2016, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i think the lightweight monster flywheel with their clutch ends up to be around the same weight as the stock assembly
Old 12-30-2016, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
i think the lightweight monster flywheel with their clutch ends up to be around the same weight as the stock assembly
Well, ordered the Monster Stage 2 with the 18 pounder.. Maryland Speed tossed a $50 off on top of the sale so jumped on it, got it all with GTO slave for $788.

Moving from 3700 pound GTO to 2800 pound (or less) Miata, I don't think that change in FW weight will be terrible. Thanks guys!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fwiw,
Ls7 clutch setup is 46 lbs
Monster lvl3 46lbs with 28lb flywheel (I can't see the lvl2 being much different than the weight of the 3)

And a dual mass turd is 40+ for just the flywheel.......

Should work out nicely in a lighter car.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wallyman
you are going to be happy with the Monster. I have two Monster clutches and ZERO regrets. i think i got the stage III with light fly and the Twin disk. Do not forget to shim and if i were to do it again i would get the adjustable master from tick. a bit more pricy than other choices but the tick lets you fine tune the peddle and in the long run its the better rout.
enjoy

Maryland speed is more like Maryland slow so be patient. They will deliver EXACTLY what you order but they are very very very very very very S.......L.........O........W.....!!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hrlyhnx
Wallyman
you are going to be happy with the Monster. I have two Monster clutches and ZERO regrets. i think i got the stage III with light fly and the Twin disk. Do not forget to shim and if i were to do it again i would get the adjustable master from tick. a bit more pricy than other choices but the tick lets you fine tune the peddle and in the long run its the better rout.
enjoy

Maryland speed is more like Maryland slow so be patient. They will deliver EXACTLY what you order but they are very very very very very very S.......L.........O........W.....!!
Shim - already on my list to check, thank you! I already have a new master (Wilwood 7/8") as part of the swap kit, hopefully it'll do what is needed.

Slow might be ok, as long as it's not measured in months. I'm all for saving a buck but if they can't delver in a timely manner, that's just poor business. That should be a commodity item that I would expect any company to be able to deliver in a couple of weeks (like 2-3), even if they have to get it from Monster first. Let me guess, I'm going to be disappointed?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Fwiw,
Ls7 clutch setup is 46 lbs
Monster lvl3 46lbs with 28lb flywheel (I can't see the lvl2 being much different than the weight of the 3)

And a dual mass turd is 40+ for just the flywheel.......

Should work out nicely in a lighter car.
monster level 3 is 46lbs with 18lb flywheel
Old 01-03-2017, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallyman
Shim - already on my list to check, thank you! I already have a new master (Wilwood 7/8") as part of the swap kit, hopefully it'll do what is needed.

Slow might be ok, as long as it's not measured in months. I'm all for saving a buck but if they can't delver in a timely manner, that's just poor business. That should be a commodity item that I would expect any company to be able to deliver in a couple of weeks (like 2-3), even if they have to get it from Monster first. Let me guess, I'm going to be disappointed?
You need to measure to see if it needs a shim. Monster may be behind on the disc or pressure plate or flywheel. They were behind on pressure plates when my dad bought one last year so we had to wait a couple of weeks. Hope you don't have any problems.

Quick Reply: LS7/RAM LFW or Monster Stage 2/LWF for ~400rwhp LS2 in 2800 lbs?