Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Heeeeeeelppppppp

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heeeeeeelppppppp

ok here it is. Does the transmition need ot be on the car with all the lines in it in order for the clutch not to slip. Or would it hold if the engine and trasmition are off of the car?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

One word.

Huh?

The clutch will be grippiest when the transmission is out of the car. The clutch is disengaged when the transmission & slave are installed, and the clutch pedal is depressed (throwout bearing pushes in to fingers on the clutch pressure plate to disengage clutch).

If the engine and transmission are off of the car, umm.... Huh?
Old 06-24-2004, 11:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may need to re-word your question. What exactly are you trying to do?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok here is the whole story i was installing a new crank pulley and when i try to put the bolt back on of curse the engine started turning. Then my friend put the driveshaft on and jamed the back with a metal so the engine would not turn. However the engine keept turning and it looked like the clutch was not graving, because when ever he would let go of th drive shaft it would slowly turn kinda like the clutch would slip you know. The weird thing is that the next day we tried to fix the problem and when ever he would spin the crank fast the clutch would grab for a second when ever he spun it really hard, but when he would spind the crank slowly it wouldn't grab to save it's life.

Last edited by zamboxl; 06-25-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zamboxl
ok here is the whole story i was installing a new crank pulley and when i try to put the bolt back on of curse the engine started turning. Then my friend put the driveshaft on and jamed the back with a metal so the engine would not turn. However the engine keept turning and it looked like the clutch was not graving, because when ever he would let go of th drive shaft it would slowly turn kinda like the clutch would slip you know. The weird thing is that the next day we tried to fix the problem and when ever he would spin the crank fast the clutch would grab for a second when ever he spun it really hard, but when he would spind the crank slowly it wouldn't grab to save it's life.
Zeroing in on this part:

"when ever he would let go of the driveshaft it would slowly turn..."

That means the clutch is doing its job, transferring the crank rotation to the driveshaft.

Hook the driveshaft up to the rear diff, chock the wheels, put the trans in 6th gear, and you should have no problems tightening the crank pulley.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

the engine along with the trany are out of the car, there are no lines hooked up to the trany or the engine, does this seem normal to you guys or is there somethign wrong. I know the clutch is properly install. It is a spec clutch bought at thunder raicing has anyone had any expireince with this or with those clutches it is being installed on a 2000 t/a
Old 06-25-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Aah, I get it now.

You need to find a way to stop the trans output shaft from rotating. I used a junk yoke and u-joint off a driveshaft, slid that into the tailshaft, and slid a prybar into the old yoke. I had my neighbor stand on the prybar, put the trans in 6th gear, and that allowed me to loosen (and later tighten) the balancer bolt without the crank moving.

You don't need the clutch hydraulics connected for the clutch to hold torque, just need a way to stop the trans output shaft from rotating.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crainholio
Zeroing in on this part:

"when ever he would let go of the driveshaft it would slowly turn..."

That means the clutch is doing its job, transferring the crank rotation to the driveshaft.

Hook the driveshaft up to the rear diff, chock the wheels, put the trans in 6th gear, and you should have no problems tightening the crank pulley.
yea but doesnt it seem strange that just the force of your hand would be able to stop the shaft from spining while the crank is still spinning. i mean i am causing the clutch to slip just by holding the drive shaft with my hand. Isn't the clutch supose to have a little more bite than that.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aah, I get it now.

You need to find a way to stop the trans output shaft from rotating. I used a junk yoke and u-joint off a driveshaft, slid that into the tailshaft, and slid a prybar into the old yoke. I had my neighbor stand on the prybar, put the trans in 6th gear, and that allowed me to loosen (and later tighten) the balancer bolt without the crank moving.

You don't need the clutch hydraulics connected for the clutch to hold torque, just need a way to stop the trans output shaft from rotating.
see thats the thing the clutch isn't holding. Thats exactly what we did we jamed a pry bar at the other end of the drive shaft to stop it from spining but the clutch wouldn't grab so the shaft was holding but the clutch wasn't.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

What gear did you have it in?
Old 06-25-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

What gear did you have it in?
all of them
Old 06-25-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Okey dokey. If you have the trans in gear, and you can rotate the crank while the trans output shaft is held such that it can't rotate, you have issues.