Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Manual transmission noise? Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission noise? Stumped

When my car is idling in neutral, I apply pressure to the clutch pedal and hold it to the floor. Then, I place the shifter into any gear (1st-6th and reverse). With clutch pedal fully pressed down, still at an idle, and transmission in gear, I'm having a good bit of "rattling" noise from what SEEMS to be directly under the engine block at the front of the trans. Take the transmission out of gear and into neutral, clutch pedal still depressed, no more noise. The noise is not noticeable while the transmission is under power, only while idling or coasting IN GEAR AND CLUTCH PEDAL TO THE FLOOR. Ive heard things from a bent fork, throwout bearing, and pivot bearing. Ive taken it to a few local mechanics and they could only suggest a full teardown of the transmission to accurately diagnose the exact problem. Ive searched and watched numerous videos on all possible problems listed, and sadly, no luck. If this rings a bell to anyone, any solid input would be great. 2010 genesis coupe 2.0t with 94xxx miles on the clock if that helps.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Loose shifter linkage? On a genesis I have no.idea
Old 04-10-2017, 06:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

With the car stationary, in gear ( any gear ), and clutch pedal fully depressed....No parts in the gearbox are turning.
None whatsoever, not the gears, input shaft, nothing.

So the noise cannot be from the gearbox during that test

Quick Reply: Manual transmission noise? Stumped