Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Bleeding and Dirty Fluid!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clutch Bleeding and Dirty Fluid!?!?

Its been really hard shifting in my car lately.

It wont shift at High Rpms, and sometimes when Im driving, if I take "extra" long to shift (3-4 seconds between gear changes), I hear a grinding/rubbing noise. It's the noise of my clutch engaging/disengaging. My clutch pedal is also pretty soft.

I tried getting all the air out of the line using the MityVac bleed method thru the MC reservoir, and no matter how long I waited I couldnt get all the air out. When I would first pump the mity vac, SO MUCH AIR would come out. I did notice that as time went on, the pressure from the MityVac would drop slowly from 25psi to around 10 or 11 psi. At that point it would stay at 10psi and I would see a tiny little air bubble in the clear tube about every 2 seconds or so.

After I bled the MC, I took it out for a drive and it basically felt the same as it did before I bled it.

Also, I noticed that the MC fluid was BLACK with little pencil tip pieces of grime in it. What does that mean?

I use Valvoline SynPower DOT 3 & 4 Brake Fluid.

Would bleeding the slave cylinder help out, or am I going to have to get a new MC and Slave cylinder.

TIA
Old 06-27-2004, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

to the top
Old 06-28-2004, 06:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I thought that the Valvoline Synpower stuff came out of the bottle clear, If your's has turned 'black' and has pieces of stuff floating in it, My guess would be that your fluid is toasted.

If it was my car, I would get fresh fluid in it and then see what problems I have left to deal with... JMO
Old 06-28-2004, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Take it somewhere and have it flushed/bleed. These cars are such a PITA to bleed. When the fluid is black it means its been broken down and isnt performing properly.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Valvoline SynPower is the stuff I mentioned in another post...couldn't get my clutch to release fully w/ that fluid no matter how many times I bled it. Switching to regular cheapo Castrol brake fluid and a re-bleed fixed it.

I really like the SynPower stuff for my brakes on the track, but sure had trouble w/ it in the clutch hydraulics.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's likely you have the same problem I had. Bad master. You're probably pulling air from where the plunger goes in. I just changed mine out but still have some bleeding to do.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

I bled mine last friday and mine was also black. I was told it could also be the master or just the seals going bad.