Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Still have problem after bleeding clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
hey guys, no one mentioned it but does your fluid just drain into the bell housing?? is it okay if it does? I've tried the spark plug cap with the vacuum line but I can't open it or close it. just did it with the wrench and now I got fluid drippin out of the bottom of the housing.
Yes. I've put "several" clutches in my own car and other peoples cars..all LS1 cars. I just let the fluid spray out. It is almost impossible to get anything other than a 1/4" breaker bar and socket to fit over the bleeder. The fluid runs down and drips out the bottom of the bellhousing. No problems.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

THANKS AGAIN Dustin lol... I should just drop you a line the way you been answering my posts hahahah. As far as that last post.. thats what I needed to hear I was a lil worried about it.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Regular

I just did my clutch fluid yesterday...it was a piece of cake with a buddy of mine filling the resivoir (sp?) I used a small 7/16 socket with a 1/4 inch ratchet that was about 4 inches long...Easiest thing to do is loosen the bleeder valve (dont be right under the tranny if possible cause the fluid WILL drip on you eventually) and just climbed out from under the car and keep filling the resivoir (sp?). I pumped the clutch 1/4 of the way a few times which put more pressure on it and got some of the old fluid out of the lines but make sure the tank is full of fluid because it has a check valve on it and it wont get any air in from where the bleeder valve is, it can only get air from the resivoir (sp?) being low on fluid. After about 10 min of waiting and refilling, I went and re tightned the valve and it solved my problem...Make sure you use DOT 3 brake fluid when you do this and also make sure you car is covered just incase you spill some fluid on ur fender it wont eat your paint...it took about 30 min or so from the time I jacked the car up...Sorry if part of this didnt make any sense its 2am and im tired...Also PM me or IM me on AIM or AOL if you have any questions.

Last edited by White 02 WS6; 02-28-2005 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by White 02 WS6
I just did my clutch fluid yesterday...it was a piece of cake with a buddy of mine filling the resivoir (sp?) I used a small 7/16 socket with a 1/4 inch ratchet that was about 4 inches long...Easiest thing to do is loosen the bleeder valve (dont be right under the tranny if possible cause the fluid WILL drip on you eventually) and just climbed out from under the car and keep filling the resivoir (sp?). I pumped the clutch 1/4 of the way a few times which put more pressure on it and got some of the old fluid out of the lines but make sure the tank is full of fluid because it has a check valve on it and it wont get any air in from where the bleeder valve is, it can only get air from the resivoir (sp?) being low on fluid. After about 10 min of waiting and refilling, I went and re tightned the valve and it solved my problem...Make sure you use DOT 3 brake fluid when you do this and also make sure you car is covered just incase you spill some fluid on ur fender it wont eat your paint...it took about 30 min or so from the time I jacked the car up...Sorry if part of this didnt make any sense its 2am and im tired...Also PM me or IM me on AIM or AOL if you have any questions.
I didnt know there is a check valve in the bleeder!!! Are you absolutely sure?

If so Im going to go buy some fluid and bleed it right now....I was debating with myself if I felt like doing it today or not since this morning...I dont have anyone to help me watch the master & pump the clutch while Im down there opening the bleeder so I was really dreading figuring out how to do it by myself...

but if I can just open the bleeder and find something to easily keep filling the reservior while inside the car pumping the clutch, heck Im excited about doing it!

Im thinking I can take off the reservior cover and use a gear oil bottle with some tubing on it or a funnel with some tubing on it to keep filling the reservior..(sit in the car holding the funnel or whatever & a couple of bottle of fluid handy and pour it in as needed....fluid travels down funnel, through the tubing and into the reservior..)

Im going to bleed this sucker all day...I have to get rid of this damn mushy pedal...costs me a good 1/2 a second on my ET because Im afraid of shifting as fast as I used to...

Does that sound like a good idea?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW White02, cool sig....your referring to Mustang/Firebird right?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

stone4479: Don't do it. You need at least two people to do bleed correctly. I know of no check valve.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I kindof figured that...

Oh well....was a nice 20 minuted of hope..

Man that reaally sucks...I dont have anyone to help. I live by myself since my roomate move to S. Texas. Ugh. WHY didnt gm make it easier?

Well I suppose I can drill a hoe down by the gas pedal in the tranny tunnel and just do it by myself & rig up some way to keep filling the reservior.

Thanks for the heads up & fast reply...I wasnt going to do it until I got I confirmation of the check valve. Glad you came back and told me quickly because I was constantly checking this thread to see if anyone could confirm it.

lol why would he post that he did it that way and it worked fine? It would have sucked in a ton of air if left open with no check valve...
Old 03-01-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

I do believe there is a check valve, I could be wrong, BUT as long as your resivoir is full for the clutch fluid you should have no problem with getting air in it...we didnt have to do the whole pump clutch and bleed thing over and over. All we did was undo the valve some, let a it bleed for awhile but making sure it it full all the time and right before we filled it the last time, i let it go do about a 1/16 from the botton of the resivoir filled it once more then retightned the valve and it fixed my problem...There is no air in my lines at all. Also to stone yes im reffering to the mustang/firebird. You do need 2 people to make sure ever thing goes smoothly...Call a dealership and ask for service and ask them about the check valve, like I said though I do believe there is one, yet even if there isnt as long as theres fluid constantly flowing through the lines you shouldnt have any problems with air...
Old 03-01-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Dont drill any holes anywhere do it the right way and it will turn out correctly...Dont rig anything! If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or contact me on AIM or AOL: Matt6489 and Stone what part of houston are you from maybe I can help you...
Old 03-01-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by White 02 WS6
Dont drill any holes anywhere do it the right way and it will turn out correctly...Dont rig anything! If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or contact me on AIM or AOL: Matt6489 and Stone what part of houston are you from maybe I can help you...
Naw I meant drill a hole through the floorpan so I can insert an extension on the 1/4 breaker & open/close the bleeder from inside the car. Would make future bleeding much easier...would be more inclined to bleed it later too...

Im going to go outside and snoop around and figure out where I need to drill the hole to get the extension through to put it on the 1/4 breaker....

Hey White 02...think you could pump my clutch pedal while I crawl under there and crack the bleedr open?

I live close to the Sam Club on HWY 6 & I-10 that everyone meets at on Saturdays....

Last edited by stone4779; 03-01-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Don't drill the car up. You can "gravity bleed" it. Crack the bleeder and let it run while monitoring the fluid level. After it has run for a while, get under there quickly and close the bleeder. You could do this by yourself.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just let the fluid drain down while I stand there and fill the reservior? But what about pumping the clutch? Should I do that too?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

After you gravity bleed it and close the bleeder, check you pedal. Pump it slow and steady about 50 times.
If you look real closely, there is a tiny air hole in the reservoir cap. Over time if there isn't much air in the system, it should work it's way out.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

If your fluid is really low and you know you have a leaking slave then do what dustin said and pump it after its closed, BUT if its not leaking then its fine to do what i said which is while its draining, make sure its full and just push the clutch in 1/4 of the way slowly fill it and do it a few more times, it just gets all the old fluid out of the lines...but do not drill a hole in ur floor board, it will just cause problems later with wet carpet or possibly rust ur floor board in the future...
Old 03-01-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool, I need to change the fluid anyways...I went and bought all the tools I'll need for this and my cam swap. Its driving me nuts..I ordered it from ForceFed High Performance(they're a sponsor here) last Tuesday(?) and they said it would be here on Friday. Every time I call/email and ask about it, he says he'll check on it for me and call or email me back. He has never called me back. He emailed me once saying he'd check on it, but never replied back with a status

I actually thought of someone who could help me with the bleeding so Im just going to do it that way. Im 100% sure there arent any leaks because the fluid level has never dropped since I bought it. The fluid is a lot darker now...

Im going to see if I can have my helper pump the clutch and fill the reservior while I turn the bleeder. That way I can circulate some of that old fluid out...

Thanks guys...

Quick Reply: Still have problem after bleeding clutch