Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch

I have a 98 trans am ws6 with full bolt ons and 243 heads and btr stage 3 cam. After I had that work done my clutch doesn't seem to be able to hold up. Also when I get on it and shift fast it grinds into every gear. I need help figuring out what to do. I was told buy one guy that I just needed to add a shim? But I do t know if that's it
Old 04-23-2017, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF the clutch is still your stock one, or has some age to it, odds are the power you are making is overpowering the clutch. After 6 years mine started doing it. I notice it in 50% throttle loads like just pushing 4th on the highway or trying a spirited (not WOT) acceleration in 1,2,3.

The grinding part can be hydraulics related. Ie not a proper clutch release. This usually accelerates the death of a clutch. An easy test here is to put it in first and press in the clutch. Rev to 4k without releasing the clutch. If the car moves, the clutch is not releasing completely and can lead to early clutch demise.

The big test for slipping is 5th gear 40 mph, dry smooth good road, a warm day and WOT. You will see the RPM jump on you and the acceleration feel sluggish with bursts. A good holding clutch with good traction should just bog and see the RPM stay low and do a slow climb.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

My 99TA 's stock clutch held up for 158,000 and 128,000 of that with the heads and cam package in my sig but at 418hp at the wheels it was at its max limits.The TA was described one time as having perfect clutch hydrolics by one shop owner and to his amazement it still holds. I'm sure your car makes more than that.

However, the pilot bearing / bushing, pressure plate & throw out bearing seem to have failed now at 159,000 miles.

Some ot the shift issue your car has might be one of those instead of the clutch. Mine friends and sounds horrible going into gear seems like it's mostly the pilot bushing.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by litdbenson
I have a 98 trans am ws6 with full bolt ons and 243 heads and btr stage 3 cam. After I had that work done my clutch doesn't seem to be able to hold up. Also when I get on it and shift fast it grinds into every gear. I need help figuring out what to do. I was told buy one guy that I just needed to add a shim? But I do t know if that's it

Your answer is in this thread, this thread is also posted at the top of this forum. And explains exactly what a shim is and what it does.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html

No one knows your car better than you do, it's time to read up and gain some knowledge

Quick Reply: Clutch