Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Buying New Clutch within 2 weeks, Need insight on Monster LT1-S - Sponsors ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation Buying New Clutch within 2 weeks, Need insight on Monster LT1-S - Sponsors ???

Hi guys....

I've been doing a lot of reading lately on the board and others about the Monster LT1-S clutch and 99% of the reviews seems to be great.

I'm changing my setup in stages to get ready for a single Turbo kit from Huron Speed.

Right now I'm swapping out my 3.89 gear to a 3.50 gear in my 9 Inch. Once that is done next week, I'm pulling my tranny to swap out my South Bend clutch for most likely the Monster LT1-S clutch.

With my turbo build, I'm not going for max effort or max power. I currently have a H&C LS3 in my 2001 Camaro SS which I'm going to install a forged LS3 with ported LS3 heads, running a 9.5-9.8 CR. Boost will be between 8 PSI and 15 PSI via a boost controller.

Horsepower goal is about 800 RWHP. My car is a low mileage F-Body, only 19,xxx miles, very hard miles I may say. Where I live, we don't have a close track, the car will see the drag strip once per year at max. With that said, the car is mainly a street car to go cruising with my other car buddies.

I know the Monster LT1-S is rated for 700 RWHP and I'll most likely make more power than that, what are the real world results saying? Can this clutch handle more power, especially on the street and the occasional drag strip pass or will I be right on the edge?

I know another option is the McLeod RXT but some real world reviews are not as positive as the Monster LT1-S.

The one advantage I like about the Monster LT1-S is that is uses the 2014+ Corvette Stingray clutch discs, if I ever need to just swap them out, I can just go to a local dealer and get them, assuming the pressure plate and flywheel is still in good shape.

I know Monster sells the LT1-SC which is rated for 1000 RWHP but it gives up the stock pedal feel and doesn't use the Stingray discs.

If any of you guys reading this makes big power with the Monster LT1-S clutch, please give an honest opinion and please include your mods/RWHP.

I have a buddy that has a 02 Trans Am with a 408 looking for a clutch upgrade as well, which ever one I decide on, he'll probably buy the same thing, we'll buy 2 at once... Sponsors....

Thanks!

Bill

Last edited by Billiumss; 11-19-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RPS full carbon street twin gets my vote. It is expensive but it is the smoothest clutch I've ever had in the car. Currently at 600rwhp and 800 is doable with a pulley swap. This clutch gave me room to grow as well rated to 900hp
Old 05-05-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
rps full carbon street twin gets my vote. It is expensive but it is the smoothest clutch i've ever had in the car. Currently at 600rwhp and 800 is doable with a pulley swap. This clutch gave me room to grow as well rated to 900hp
+1^^^
Old 10-18-2017, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Just an update....

I ended up going with the Monster LT1-S from Tick Performance

I have about 700 miles on it now and this thing is amazing! I took my time and broke it in properly. I put about 400-450 miles on it along with a lot of city stop and go traffic driving and probably 30-40 heat cool cycles before I gave it hell. Using a stock master, pedal is a little stiffer than a LS7 clutch but not much, easy to drive, no chatter at all.

Clutch works perfect every time, smooth. Even made a few passes at the track. Did a personal best of a 1.81 60 FT. Need more seat time to lower my 60 ft.

I highly recommend this clutch. Thanks Monster!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Just an update....

I have about 700 miles on it now and this thing is amazing! I took my time and broke it in properly. I put about 400-450 miles on it along with a lot of city stop and go traffic driving and probably 30-40 heat cool cycles before I gave it hell. Using a stock master, pedal is a little stiffer than a LS7 clutch but not much, easy to drive, no chatter at all.

Clutch works perfect every time, smooth. Even made a few passes at the track. Did a personal best of a 1.81 60 FT. Need more seat time to lower my 60 ft.

Sorry we missed your original post. However, its great to hear that you are enjoying your Monster!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Just an update....

If 800hp is your true goal then whoever sold it to you did a disservice to your wallet. The Monster LT1-S would be my last choice at that power level, mine couldn't handle a 76mm on 5.3L which was nowhere near 800whp.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Time will tell. I talked to Monster and Tick to discussed my future plans with the car with them, they both said the LT1-S is fine. I bought it from Tick.

My car is 98% street car, it will probably hit the track 1 or 2 times per year.

If it doesn't hold then hopefully Monster and Tick will work with me on something better. They are both great companies to work with, I'll find out in 9 months...

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
If 800hp is your true goal then whoever sold it to you did a disservice to your wallet. The Monster LT1-S would be my last choice at that power level, mine couldn't handle a 76mm on 5.3L which was nowhere near 800whp.

Quick Reply: Buying New Clutch within 2 weeks, Need insight on Monster LT1-S - Sponsors ???