Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Master Failed at the Worst Possible Time [UPDATE]

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Tick has typically been a stand up vendor.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny enough I run across this thread and happened to have the exact same issue you did except this was back in 2010 or 2011. There was a leak from that same fitting, put a wrench on it and half a turn later it sheared right off. BUT... way back then I guess business was done differently than it is now because they swapped out the MC with one that worked and not half assed.
I only had mine in at the time at most 18 months. So for you to get 4 years is impressive. Then again, if you're car is stock I guess people expect a much longer lifespan out of a MC??

I just have come to expect at my power level **** is just going to break substantially more often.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you drill out the feed hole in the slave for extra flow (less hose pressure)?
Ill see if I can find the part# for the areoquip steel adaptors instead of the aluminum
Old 08-07-2017, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 454z06
Did you drill out the feed hole in the slave for extra flow (less hose pressure)?
Ill see if I can find the part# for the areoquip steel adaptors instead of the aluminum
Using this line provides the same/better results than the line drill mod:
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/part...9212/overview/
Old 08-09-2017, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 Tick master cylinders for my car, one I purchased within a month of their initial release. I think they have ironed out a lot of the initial problems.

My first one had multiple problems where it just wouldn't hold (some problem with early models machining wrecking the seal) and was a smaller cylinder, the seals failed and had a complete master failure, had a fitting brake like yours and an internal seal broke which let fluid into the car from the threaded rod. I went months b/w failures in the early going for a span of 1.5 years.

The fitting tip breaking like that I discovered is caused by how you mount the tick master. I noted that in my earlier version it was pretty much resting against the body of the car. Currently it has a gap about 1/2 inch so it is not touching the body on my install. I had to be careful when mounting it to ensure that I kept it raised up.

Tick has replaced it time and again. I bought a 2nd one to work in the downtime since it was my daily during those failure years.

It is currently running the last replacement one I received and the "spare" has been collecting dust for the last 7 years waiting in standby. I've gone through 2 clutches/150k miles with the tick master so its been good to me. I've also been good doing the ranger method to keep the fluid fresh in the system swapping out the reservoir fluid every 1.5-2 months during those 7 years.

Quick Reply: Tick Master Failed at the Worst Possible Time [UPDATE]