T56 issues - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 issues

Old 09-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Default T56 issues

So I just picked up my first 4th gen (2000 ws6 t56). When I went to look at it guy tells me only issue was it needed a rear main seal. Gave me paper work showing the trans was rebuilt by a local shop within the last 1k miles. When I went to drive it and noticed it made some weird noises that sounded like the trans had a bad bearing in it. I figure for 4500 bucks it was worth it to fix. Now that I got the almost pointless backstory out of the way, I need some advice haha. Here's what it's doing. Throw it in first gear and youd never know there was an issue.. once you get into second gear you can kind of hear a scraping sound. It gets progressively louder as you climb gears. However if you press in the clutch pedal it goes away no matter what. The best way to describe the noise is what pads and rotors sound like when there's no meat left on the pad haha. Just a grinding scrape sound. I dropped the trans and checked the T/O and it looks brand new. Clutch and Pressure Plate also looked in good shape. As well as the pilot bearing. I figure if it was the input bearing youd hear it even in first gear... but you dont.. And I figured if it was output bearing youd hear it all the time even coasting at high speeds in neutral. Any one got any ideas?
Sroche6373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
jmd
TECH Addict

Internal transmission bearing issues quiet down in direct gear (4th.)

Sure sounds like a bum throw out bearing.
jmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #3

Update. I pulled the drive shaft, started it up and ran It through the gears. Didn't make any noise with the shaft out so I started looking elsewhere. Drained the dif and rotated the pinion by hand. There's no slop up and down or side to side but has a slightly "Sandy" sound while rotating it. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm curious at this point if that would echo up the drive shaft and make it sound like it was coming from the trans area/back of the motor
Sroche6373 is offline   Reply With Quote