Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Comparing shifters 4th gen f-body

Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Comparing shifters 4th gen f-body

So I searched and a lot of these type threads are older so I wanted to start a more current thread on the topic.

I'm trying to decide on a new shifter, and I think it's worth saying that this isn't my first go around.

Currently I have a broken Hurst Billet Plus, I originally bought it basically because I couldn't decide and liked the look of the chrome handle. However after using it a few years the springs came loose and fell out jamming up the shifter. I am not going to try and fix it, it can go in the trash.

My C5 has an MGW shifter in it, I really like it...in the Vette. I'm not sure if I want something quite that tight in my Camaro. Maybe it's not the same since the shifters are a little different? Anyone driven both? Give me an opinion?

My buddy has a Pro 5.0 in his Trans Am, it does a good job but feels kind of clunky. I've driven a couple f-bodies that have the stock Hurst shifter and a short handle, those aren't bad but I really don't want to seek out an old used shifter.

I'd love to hear some reviews on Hinson's new shifter. I'm liking what I've read, and think I may have it down the that or MGW but would love to hear some feedback.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the MGW in my 2000 SS. Other than being just a tad stiffer than I would like it's perfect IMO
Old 09-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Teching In

My car originally had a factory hurst shifter which I wasn't to big of a fan of. I struggled to find third gear sometimes while driving the car hard.

I switched over to the Hinson shifter a couple months ago and I love it. Shifts are short and crisp feeling, and I haven't came even close to missing third gear since the install. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade their shifter.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Teching In

I'll give you my review by the end of the week, just sold my mgw and purchased a Hinson
Old 09-18-2017, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Well I pulled the trigger on a Hinson, I can always sell it if I don't like it, but everything I found so far looks good except for one youtuber who was complaining about it not centering. I'll update after I get it.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:22 AM
10 Second Club

I had a Pro 5.0 for years, but then ordered the MGW once it came out. Used it for 2 years, sold my trans with it and with the built T56 I picked up a Hinson. Sold it after a few months and got another MGW. Can't imagine changing shifters again.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Been on the fence between MGW and Hinson for 6 months now. Looking forward to the review from the guy who will have both
Old 09-19-2017, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I wish there was something a little smoother than MGW. I hate how notchy mine feels during normal driving. I want something a little smoother and just as direct without feeling like all of the internals moving.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MGW and Anti-Venom is the only way to go, Had one in my Fbody and now in my C5, anti-venom is the trick.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ezzlez28
I had a Pro 5.0 for years, but then ordered the MGW once it came out. Used it for 2 years, sold my trans with it and with the built T56 I picked up a Hinson. Sold it after a few months and got another MGW. Can't imagine changing shifters again.
What did you dislike about the Hinson that made you switch back to the MGW? I built a car a few years ago and put a MGW on it, but sold it before I ever got a chance to drive it. I've been wondering how different they feel from each other.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by whatsa347
MGW and Anti-Venom is the only way to go, Had one in my Fbody and now in my C5, anti-venom is the trick.
I've heard mixed reviews on this Anti-Venom mod, especially on our f-bodies. Is there a specific trick to getting it just right?
Old 09-19-2017, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I've heard mixed reviews on this Anti-Venom mod, especially on our f-bodies. Is there a specific trick to getting it just right?
Nah, just put it in and torque it to the correct ft-lb's and run it. Every transmission is different and not always built to the same spec's as others, it's why some people say they don't notice anything and people like me immediately noticed it. Buddy of mine did it to his GT500 and it was night and day with his MGW, we did it to another friends C6 with the 6060 and it literally did nothing. So we're 2 for 3 over here FWIW. The $2.50 it'll cost you and the 20 minutes to put it in, there's kinda no reason to not try it.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of the guys run B&M shifters on frrax, i havent tried one to give any input how they feel vs others.

Has anyone tried the hawks sinister shifter yet?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dobber63
What did you dislike about the Hinson that made you switch back to the MGW? I built a car a few years ago and put a MGW on it, but sold it before I ever got a chance to drive it. I've been wondering how different they feel from each other.

Felt incredibly more notchy. I have never missed a shift with either. Ran 10.20s with both. It was all personal preference/feel.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just put a Hinson in my LT1. Really like it a lot. Prior to this I ran a B&M Ripper in my LS1. The Hinson feels better.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nah, just put it in and torque it to the correct ft-lb's and run it. Every transmission is different and not always built to the same spec's as others, it's why some people say they don't notice anything and people like me immediately noticed it. Buddy of mine did it to his GT500 and it was night and day with his MGW, we did it to another friends C6 with the 6060 and it literally did nothing. So we're 2 for 3 over here FWIW. The $2.50 it'll cost you and the 20 minutes to put it in, there's kinda no reason to not try it.
Gotcha. I've read where some have said it made it to loose and/or no as positive which is why I asked. Ideally I'd like to make where it's not so tight, but still very positive and easy to slam into gear. Right now it takes a lot of muscle to get it into gear, which no doubt is causing a slower shift time. Thanks for the feed back.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ezzlez28
Felt incredibly more notchy. I have never missed a shift with either. Ran 10.20s with both. It was all personal preference/feel.
The hinson is very notchy feeling. That's the only complaint I have on it. I've only been able to compare it to a pro 5.0 and a factory hurst though. It's much better than either of those in my opinion. I may have to find someone local with a MGW to try and compare it too now.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Gotcha. I've read where some have said it made it to loose and/or no as positive which is why I asked. Ideally I'd like to make where it's not so tight, but still very positive and easy to slam into gear. Right now it takes a lot of muscle to get it into gear, which no doubt is causing a slower shift time. Thanks for the feed back.
Sounds like the anti-venom is your huckleberry, lol I even have an extra shim if you want it, just pay the shipping for it and it's yours.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like the anti-venom is your huckleberry, lol I even have an extra shim if you want it, just pay the shipping for it and it's yours.
Good deal. I appreciate the offer but it will be easier for me to go pick that stuff up locally. Now is there a write up on how to do this for the fbody with the trans in the car? Basically I just need some pics or info on the best way to reach this thing, what needs to be moved to get at it, etc....
Old 09-20-2017, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

How are peoples Hinson's shifters after they have had some time to "break in"? Do they get any smoother? Are they notching to the point of inhibiting shifting or just general feel? How easily can you downshift from 6 to 3?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comparing shifters 4th gen f-body