Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch pedal suddenly goes to floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
What I did was open the reservoir where you add fluid. Put some rags around it so you don't spill any onto the paint. Remove the rubber plunger inside the reservoir and fill it with fluid. Take your Mighty vac setup and find the right fitting to insert down into the bottom of the reservoir and start pulling vacuum.

As you draw the air from the system it will be replaced with the fluid. I would press the clutch pedal in a couple of times also to move any trapped air. Just keep pulling a vacuum and adding fluid until you are drawing only fluid into the Mighty Vac line to its reservoir and no more air bubbles.

To bleed the slave will take two people but if you can find something to hold the clutch pedal down it can be done by yourself.

Procedure:

1) Open bleed screw
2) Press in the clutch pedal and hold
3) Close bleed screw
4) Let off the clutch pedal

Repeat this procedure to get any air that may be trapped in the slave cylinder. You will most likely need to add more fluid to you MC reservoir once your done bleeding the slave. Hope this helps!
Thanks man!
Old 09-28-2017, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good news - I was able to retrieve the errant 5/16" socket from the bell housing - had to cut some metal in the trans tunnel to get proper access. Also made it a one man bleeding operation. will likely tack some sheet metal back over the hole when all is done. Have to clean up a couple of things, finish bleeding, and should be good to go. Thanks all for your advice.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

job done - took for a test drive and shifting was nice and smooth. Onward to the next challenge - replace stock, 18 year old exhaust manifolds with headers! My biggest concern is getting the old bolts out, intact.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by xny1989
job done - took for a test drive and shifting was nice and smooth. Onward to the next challenge - replace stock, 18 year old exhaust manifolds with headers! My biggest concern is getting the old bolts out, intact.
Soak with PB blaster. Start engine to get it to expand a little. Doesn't have to get fully hot. Kill it. While headers are still warm, soak bolts again.

Gonna do poly mounts while you're in there?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Soak with PB blaster. Start engine to get it to expand a little. Doesn't have to get fully hot. Kill it. While headers are still warm, soak bolts again.

Gonna do poly mounts while you're in there?
Yup on the poly mounts. Got all my parts lined up except for new plugs and wires. Once I get them, I'll give it a go.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal suddenly goes to floor