Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue?

Hey guys i was seeking some advice or whatever you have to offer into my question i was driving my car for about a hour and a half i was im 3rd gear and it was a empty road so i pressed the gas all the way down shortly after i heard a loud noise and car wasnt wanting to move despite being in gear and around 4k rpm and no more clutch pressure i pulled to the side and looked under car i didnt see anything leaking so called a town truck to take it back home long story short im planning on taking the tranny out tommorow have 0 experiance i noticed my clutch fluid reservoir was empty yesterday so i got some dot3 and put it in looked under car and its leaking i will attach a picture my question is have you guys had this happen where its leaking where mine is. Clutch pedal isnt on floor but when you press it there is absolutely no force required to get it down car also will go into gear of course wont move but when its put into gear makes a shaking rattling noise any help is much appreciated.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

If it's leaking there....then almost sure it's going to have to come apart to check/replace the slave and/or lines to it.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If it's leaking there....then almost sure it's going to have to come apart to check/replace the slave and/or lines to it.
Hey thanks for your reply i took the tranny out this morning and think i may be in trouble the shaft that the slave slides onto is snapped in half and in pieces also slave is messed up guessing from the shaft ill upload pics if anyone can suggest where to go from here i would be gratefull either get this fixed or would it be better to buy a used tranny on craiglist also i havent took clutch apart yet but will.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:29 PM
9 Second Club

LOL...the slave or clutch is the least of your worries...the input shaft is fucked ! lol

Some positives though.

You now have a handy clutch alignment tool

If you're very lucky, you might be able to pull the front cover and get away with installing just a new input shaft. However, price and availability can vary

http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/trem...firebird-b2-1/

But yes you also need a new slave too.

And you will need to inspect the clutch, but it is probably ok.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Teching In

LOL...the slave or clutch is the least of your worries...the input shaft is fucked ! lol

Some positives though.

You now have a handy clutch alignment tool

If you're very lucky, you might be able to pull the front cover and get away with installing just a new input shaft. However, price and availability can vary

http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/trem...firebird-b2-1/

But yes you also need a new slave too.

And you will need to inspect the clutch, but it is probably ok.
again thanks for your help i figured something didnt look right my first time taking a trans out but ya figured it was bad when i found pieces and maybe that was that loud noise that i heard when this all happened also the last picture is my bellhousing it has that hole in the passenger side where you can literally look into it guess i may need a new one since maybe some contaminates can get into there or will it be alright ? And im going to try and replace shaft i guess i have nothing to lose right lol 1 more question if you dont mind the leaking was comiing from the bell housiing meets the oil pan would suggest that maybe theres a issue there ?
Old 10-09-2017, 03:58 PM
9 Second Club

Cheaper here...some parts may not be genuine though...although not even sure if genuine shafts are available anymore.

https://ampdistributing.com/collecti...ec-input-shaft

Hole in the bellhousing is not ideal, but if it isnt broken or cracked over the majority of the casting I'd be happy enough re-using it.

or see if you can find one cheap.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Cheaper here...some parts may not be genuine though...although not even sure if genuine shafts are available anymore.

https://ampdistributing.com/collecti...ec-input-shaft

Hole in the bellhousing is not ideal, but if it isnt broken or cracked over the majority of the casting I'd be happy enough re-using it.

or see if you can find one cheap.
Ok thanks ill go from there and see if i can get this baby running have a good night
Old 10-10-2017, 06:14 AM
9 Second Club

Obviously the shaft will need installed, shimmed, new bearings as required etc.

but all being well that should be able to be down via the front plate which will save a lot of hassle if no other damage.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:37 PM

Check with Rockland Standard Gear or D&D Perfomance
Old 10-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Obviously the shaft will need installed, shimmed, new bearings as required etc.

but all being well that should be able to be down via the front plate which will save a lot of hassle if no other damage.
ok im in process of trying to gather info before i try and tackle the job as stated never done this or anything really pertaining to motor or tranny just light stuff brakes oil changes etc but i apperciate the feedback guys also i came across this article https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1321343-how-do-i-replace-input-shaft-my-ls1-t56.html can't really find much info on a swamp kinda would like a step by step so far as i see it based on the info put tranny in 4th gear? Stand tranny upwards unbolt the front plate and shaft comes out . so far thats all i understand lol
Old 10-10-2017, 05:06 PM
9 Second Club

There is no reason whatsoever to put it into 4th gear and I would even say that is a bad idea.

Youtube is always a good place to search for help...everyone has videos on everything. Older LT trans, but same idea.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Teching In

There is no reason whatsoever to put it into 4th gear and I would even say that is a bad idea.

Youtube is always a good place to search for help...everyone has videos on everything. Older LT trans, but same idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGTHte7JPW8
Thanks that cleared up some questions i had apperciate it
Old 10-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Texas_ls
Thanks that cleared up some questions i had apperciate it
Just about have the parts list complete. New shaft ,new slave, new shaft seal ,tick speed bleeder anything else ? I also forgot to picture this piece i found when i took tranny off seems to be a seal? Idk its rubber and broken kinda bumpy looking if you have any idea what it is so i can order another. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clutch issue?