Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

'02 clutch death?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '02 clutch death?

'02 WS6 w/ 88K miles, 3rd owner

I'm guessing the clutch currently in car is the original and mod wise the car is stock; Denver Colorado so driving in mountains and at elevation.

So when getting on the the clutch slowly becomes lighter where normal engagement starts at the top it moves to the middle of the pedal. Never lost engagement but the pressure changes. It can hold a constant RPM at cruise. Only the pressure in the petal changes.

I'm guessing the material is wearing thin, heating, little slippage maybe and when cools it comes back to 'normal'? On borrowed time for a getting a replacement?

(first M6 car)
Old 10-21-2017, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, rip it outta there, go aftermarket...should be one of the first mods for these cars.

How do you drive it? Fast high rpm shifting? Just cruising? Any track use?
Any power mods planned?
This will determine which clutch will be right for you...
Old 10-22-2017, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

There are a lot of better than stock clutches and replacement is reasonable. Read up on the details before deciding on a new clutch. With that said the stock clutch lived 155,000 miles in my TA. 125,000 of that with 4.10's and 418 whp. Several times over the 18 years while the stock clutch was in my TA - it would start to feel funny. Every time it was the clutch hydraulics needed flushed and then bled. I would try having the hydraulics flushed and bled before replacing unless you just want a new clutch. Wanting a better clutch and shifter in an M6 car is perfectly normal and a good upgrade.

When the old stock clutch came out of the car it was discolored from getting hot. I doubt the stock clutch had much life left in it.

I like McCloud's RXT Twin Disc. It drives very well and will hold a lot of power.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 10-22-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: '02 clutch death?