Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Diagnosis of clutch hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Diagnosis of clutch hydraulics

With use, but seemingly not heated related, my clutch pedal travel reduces to the point where I can no longer smoothly engage gears. I pull the pedal back up with my foot, and process repeats. If I had to guess, I'd say its about 30-50 presses from pulling the pedal up to no longer engaging.

I'm using a 3 year old Tick adjustable master cylinder with a standard slave cylinder. The slave has been bled repeatedly via remote bleeder, so I'm confident no air in the lines and fresh fluid. Additionally, the fluid reservoir has been and continues to be full.

My knee jerk reaction to this is that the slave is crapping out. My hang up is, given the data/evidence, I don't understand the symptom. If there is no air in the line, no evidence of a fluid leak... how is the pressure plate not getting the pedal back to its beginning position? What/where is the motion getting transferred to if not the pedal coming back up. How is this slow degrading?

As much as I'd love to pull transmission of this car *again* to blind swap in parts... I'd love to understand what's going on here.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Last edited by cscott1; 02-14-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Diagnosis of clutch hydraulics