Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Testing power handling capabilities of NV3500/HM290

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael12
how’s that trans holding up currently turboing my 5.3 in my s10 wanting too see about 550hp out of it with my nv3500 and what clutch do U have
The truck has been down for a bit. Had a cylinder lean out and blow a piston up. But the nv is still in it and was still holding up. The clutch setup is a stock pressure plate with a dual friction material disc.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

I;ve seen 2 broken in jeeps,, both broke under low speed high torque situations behind stock 4.0 inline 6 engines.

Both locked up solid ,, Which is not bad at 5MPH,, don't want to do it at speed.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
I;ve seen 2 broken in jeeps,, both broke under low speed high torque situations behind stock 4.0 inline 6 engines.

Both locked up solid ,, Which is not bad at 5MPH,, don't want to do it at speed.
How? What were the circumstances? Did they have moster mud tires and in 4 low and clutch dumping. Or trying to rock crawl and the tires bound up? Or were they driving down a flat road with a slight head wind and boom? I have heard many people say i had a trans blow up on me in a stock vehicle and come to find out all it was is that the driver broke a shift fork due to the fack that they were a trash driver. Details matter!
Old 11-21-2019, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo-bowtie
The truck has been down for a bit. Had a cylinder lean out and blow a piston up. But the nv is still in it and was still holding up. The clutch setup is a stock pressure plate with a dual friction material disc.

how long has it been down?
Old 11-21-2019, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo-bowtie
what injectors do u have? I’m going too try my stock ones that I decapped but don’t want too burn up a piston
Old 11-27-2019, 11:48 AM
Teching In

What are the gear ratio's? I had an NV3500 from 95 V6 Ram 1500 swapped into my 87 Ram D100. The gear ratios were all wrong for racing. Only remember the 1st was good for towing. 4:1 with a 3.5 was great with a car trailer. A nice shifting drive around town trans but no speed shifting allowed. This is as quick as I could shift it without forcing it in.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Michael12
what injectors do u have? I’m going too try my stock ones that I decapped but don’t want too burn up a piston
the truck has been down a few months. It is the stock flex fuel 5.3 injectors. We could only run about 8-9 psi before we started running out of injector.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Allure Super
What are the gear ratio's? I had an NV3500 from 95 V6 Ram 1500 swapped into my 87 Ram D100. The gear ratios were all wrong for racing. Only remember the 1st was good for towing. 4:1 with a 3.5 was great with a car trailer. A nice shifting drive around town trans but no speed shifting allowed. This is as quick as I could shift it without forcing it in.

https://youtu.be/aqi1vuNbs-8
It has the awful ratios. 4.02 first
3.21 second
1.49 third
1.00 fourth
0.73 fifth
3.55 reverse
And yea thats really about all you can do shifting. I will upload a video a little later of when ee were out first testing the truck and its about as fast as i could shift in the truck. We have a 3.08 rear in the truck now and we ran a 3.42 for a while but with the odd ratios it made first a little goofy and too short but second was still too long so we went back eith the 3.08 so now every gear is just long. In my 07 gmc i have a 4.1 rear in it with a 4.3 v6 and its about perfect cause i dont even use 1st unless im on a hill. I just start in second and its long enough that i dont have to shift as soon as my foot comes off the clutch. But i do have to ride the clutch a bit longer because the 4.3 has no *** behind it. Im rebuilding a 5.3 to put in it so hopefully with the added low end i wont have to use 1st unless im towing and i wont have to slip the clutch as much. So soon i will have both an hm290 and a newer nv3500 to test the limits of.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Teching In

No rear gear ratio will solve these problems. It was originally designed for a small engine in a big truck so they are wide ratios. Even though it was over 10 years ago I had that truck, it pushed me to never have a wide ratio trans again. My Mustang had a 5 to 6 speed swap, I chose a close ratio T56 and love it, recommend the same for you.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Allure Super
No rear gear ratio will solve these problems. It was originally designed for a small engine in a big truck so they are wide ratios. Even though it was over 10 years ago I had that truck, it pushed me to never have a wide ratio trans again. My Mustang had a 5 to 6 speed swap, I chose a close ratio T56 and love it, recommend the same for you.
When i break the nv which will inevitably happen. I was planning on either a t56, or or the zf6 from the 2500 trucks. But the main complaint is just the 2-3 spacing but with the reas short enough so that i can start in second its a bit more tolerable because it will move through the gear quicker and it is more tolerable for me. I still have no idea why the spacing would be what it is.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I would go with a TKO 600. Ratios will be boost friendly and you can make it mid shifted pretty easily. It will hold up fairly well in a truck application as well.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AMP-D
I would go with a TKO 600. Ratios will be boost friendly and you can make it mid shifted pretty easily. It will hold up fairly well in a truck application as well.
I thought about that as well but in all honesty im shooting for the stick shift truck world records. And i doubt it will hold up to what power im planning to put through it.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything new here? Thinking about a NV3500 in my truck. Wouldn't be high HP/TQ at first, but later, who knows...
Old 02-23-2020, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
Anything new here? Thinking about a NV3500 in my truck. Wouldn't be high HP/TQ at first, but later, who knows...
Trans is still holding up fine. The truck gets driven atleast 5 times a week and is ran hard each outing. I Got the motor back together. It is a 5.3 gen 3 block and rotating assembly with gen 4 heads, intake and an ls1 cam. Still only doing rolls and no real hard launches. Its at 16° of timing and 8 psi and i rev it out to 7k rpms. Best place to check the truck is on my instagram, bchandler06. The gmc i have also has an nv but it is behind a 4.3 with a 4.10 rear. It regularly sees clutch dumps, no lift shifts and as much abuse as i can throw at it in the name of science. My suggestion is to not get too aggressive of a clutch if you go with the nv. The less shock you can put on it the better.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:15 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very interesting thread. I have an s10 ratio nv3500 behind an lq4 in my s10 for about 50k miles now. I romp on it pretty hard, pretty regularly. Granted its on street w rated 235 all seasons and doesn’t hook worth a damn. Currently truetrac gm 7.5 3.23 27” tire Zero wheel hop but can roast thru second at will, usually launch in the neighborhood of 2-3k.

Im always eyeing tkos and magnums but with the current setup i have right now its geared pretty similarly to how a tko would be with say 3.42s, somewhat similar to a t56 with 4.10, the gear spacing is deeper than the tko but similar distance from themselves and this old junkyard trans is still holding no signs of trouble. Always in the back of the mind though yes.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Updates?

What actual tranny do you have because you mentioned two different models. One was the precursor to the other but not the same tranny.

Also the Dakota is one of the strongest while the Jeep and S10 are two weakest. So comparing these against each other is not exactly fair.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:25 PM

I been playing with one in my 99 ext cab, its got a 4.8, btr stage 3 truck cam, gt45 ebay turbo the biggest one not sure the size and the holley terminator I got her running on 17psi with a stock luk clutch, no slippage, I recently broke the center of the clutch disc, ill be upgrading to a spec stage 2+. This truck is built to beat, lots of clutch dumps lol its got a welded gm open diff. The trans at first didn't whine shifted great for about 1000miles then started whining a bit and got lil harder to shift, im suspecting cluster shaft bearings and main input shaft bearing, I checked the input shaft for play got very slight amount of play. I'm going to change the bearings hopping it fixes that
Old 05-06-2022, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Sorry been a while since I spotted this thread, I think that since both trans blew in jeep that were doing a lot of rock crawler stuff, its partially that the transmission doesn't lube the internals and gear faces well enough for low rpm high torque situations. if you pop a main shaft loose, the AL case just cant hold it in. Unfortunately when you do it on a trail, you often don't find all the bits. or be able to tell the sequence of the carnage. The offroad guys generally claim a stock 4.3 V8 is fine, a 5.3 is "ok" and that a 6.0 or better will give it a viking funeral.

Quick Reply: Testing power handling capabilities of NV3500/HM290