Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Flywheel Alignment on Crank - LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel Alignment on Crank - LS1

Hello!

Hopefully this is an easy question. I fitted my flywheel last night and this morning I noticed I'd managed to fit it without aligning the dowel hole to the crank. I've googled this a little this morning and struggled to find a definitive answer to whether it's a problem or not.. Is it important to have this hole lined up?

As I understand it from googling, the hole is for an alignment dowel, and possibly might have been used on corvettes that have a matched flywheel (with weights added to balance?) however on the camaro/firebird applications this isn't the case.
So by that logic the flywheel
orientation isn't important? I wanted to get some opinions before I go ahead and bolt the clutch to the back of it tomorrow. The flywheel bolts are torqued up and loctited in, so I would prefer to leave them that way if it's not an issue. Picture below

Cheers
Rob
Old 05-07-2018, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

IDK id you motor is "neutral" balanced but if it is and the FW is also neutral balanced...it does not mater the mounting orientation

If however it is a rear external balanced motor...than yeah FW orientation matters
Old 05-09-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
IDK id you motor is "neutral" balanced but if it is and the FW is also neutral balanced...it does not mater the mounting orientation

If however it is a rear external balanced motor...than yeah FW orientation matters
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. It's just a standard LS1, no additional balancing completed.
I'd guess normal Camaro LS1s are internally balanced and the flywheels are neutral? Is that right?

Cheers
Rob
Old 05-09-2018, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

IDK about the LSx if it is internal or external balance. LT1 is external (rear)

if you don't have any vibration with motor running...all good
Old 05-10-2018, 07:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I've never seen or heard of any dowels on the flywheel on any of these engines ?

So it does seem a bit odd both the hole is there and flywheels seem to have it too.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's been about 13 years since i had the flywheel off of my engine. I thought i had lost the dowel. I don't thinks it's required.