Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Clutch Sticking - Read the Stickies, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this thread back up, so basically if the clutch pedal intermittently sticks, start with the master/slave? My setup is basically stock, LS7 upgrade years ago that has been working fine until recently clutch sticking. Car has 67k miles on it, I haven't dragged it in years.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 865 Likes on 661 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

FYI Holley now makes a stock clutch line that doesn't have a restrictor in it. It should allow for faster shifting.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have a Tick (Tilton) master cylinder and a dual disc clutch. Couple years ago I had a problem with the pedal not returning all the way. It was intermittent. It would make for a short (insufficient) pedal throw next time I push the clutch. I'd have to pull the pedal out with my toe before using it again. Clutch worked fine as long as there was enough throw.

I took apart the master cylinder and found the cylinder full of black sludge. The sludge was sometimes plugging the relief port that allows the pedal to return. The sludge was from a disintegrating hose between fill bottle and master cylinder. Cleaned, rebuilt, put it back together, flushed the system.

I was more than a little surprised when the problem still persisted. At that point I knew it had to be mechanical and not hydraulic. The guys at Tick made a suggestion to remove the helper spring on the clutch pedal. I did it and the damn problem went away.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

I wrote this about the C5 clutch system, but I'm told that the C6 and LS7 stuff is all basically the same.

What exactly is happening when a C5 clutch pedal sticks to the floor? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Quick Reply: T56 Clutch Sticking - Read the Stickies, quick question