Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing Too Far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot bearing Too Far?

I was installing a pilot bearing in a replacement engine for my 06 GTO with the T56, driving it in it went about .188, or about 3/16" past flush. I thought the socket I was using was just large enough... NOT! Do I need to pull it back? I do know the removal tool for free loan at O'Reilly's is too large to get inside the bearing, so I will have to find a different puller if so.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2018, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

the reason the hole in crank is deeper is to allow the ears of a blind hole puller to get behind the bearing to remove it.

You could put some grease inside the bearing and then stab the tranny without clutch to see if the input shaft (enough of it) is supported with the bearing in that far. Could be a 50/50 call without knowing. Grease would leave a witness line on how much of the input shaft is supported by the pilot

For a puller I find the loan-a-tool deal autozone has on its blind hole puller made it plug & play for removal. I use a 6" piece of wood closet rod dowel to drive in the pilot using a BFH flush with crank

Part # 27128

also Harbor Freight has the same one to buy, part # 62601