Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch not disengaging T56

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch not disengaging T56

Hello. I am doing a swap on my 91 camaro that was orginally a 5 speed car to a t56. The tranny is out of a 95 camaro and i am using a Mcleod ajustable master cylinder (for a 95) The clutch is not fully disengaging when the pedal is pressed. What problems could there be? Loose clutch fork? Is my master no good?
thanks
Old 09-23-2018, 04:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Could be many things, hydraulics likely. I dont care for those LT clutches I burned down a few of them in my day. Start with a good bleed and see. easy to bleed those just take the slave cyl off the pin and pump it in a bunch of times until no more air comes bubbling out of master. Easiest with two people; one to pump and one to watch fluid and refill as nec. Start with that and see
Old 09-26-2018, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

you either still need to bleed the hydraulics or if they are completely bleed than adjust the rod so pedal has more travel

FWIW I installed the McLeod (Wilwood) MC and stock slave by first bench bleeding them as a unit then installing them
Old 09-26-2018, 12:07 PM
Launching!

I'm going to go with an improperly bled clutch. What procedure did you use to bleed the system?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyp3353
I'm going to go with an improperly bled clutch. What procedure did you use to bleed the system?
I was under the impression it was a self bleeding system and i just needed to pump the clutch.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

you cant use hydraulics with an LT1 trans i thought......clutch fork
Old 09-27-2018, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by John Gossling
I was under the impression it was a self bleeding system and i just needed to pump the clutch.
No, LT 1 hydraulics are a sealed system. You need to drop slave with piston pointing down and slowly pump the piston with palm of hand while someone else watches the reservoir for bubbles and adds fluid as needed. It can take many pumps to bleed. If you replaced MC or slave you should first bench bled either then attach braided line then bleed the assembled hydraulics

Originally Posted by Floorman279
you cant use hydraulics with an LT1 trans i thought......clutch fork
LT1 cars use hydraulic MC & slave. The slave pushes on a clutch fork. Clutch fork needs to be positioned correctly on T.O. bearing

Old 09-27-2018, 10:32 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

You need to pump the piston in/out from the slave cyl down below to burp the air out.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

ok so op can u confirm you are using the correct hydraulics and not LS hydraulics?
Old 09-28-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ******
No, LT 1 hydraulics are a sealed system. You need to drop slave with piston pointing down and slowly pump the piston with palm of hand while someone else watches the reservoir for bubbles and adds fluid as needed. It can take many pumps to bleed. If you replaced MC or slave you should first bench bled either then attach braided line then bleed the assembled hydraulics

LT1 cars use hydraulic MC & slave. The slave pushes on a clutch fork. Clutch fork needs to be positioned correctly on T.O. bearing
That bleeding system makes perfect sense. Ill give it a shot and hopefully that works.

Otherwise I am using the correct hydraulics. The slave came off the donor car and the master was for a lt1 car
Old 09-28-2018, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

make sure the clutch pedal is completely "up" when bleeding the hydraulics. Use a bungie cord to hold it up or a piece of wood. Anything so the MC is completely free of any pressure from pedal on the MC

also the slave rod needs to have that plastic cup on it. The end that pushes against the fork
Old 09-28-2018, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The clutch disc isn't in backwards is it? This recently happened to a friend of mine. The taller side of the clutch center faces away from the crank.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:23 PM

Got the system bled. It when i push the clutch to the bottom it makes a grinding sound and when it should disengage. I didnt do this before. Im thinking throwout bearing
I know i had the clutch in the right direction because it wouldnt fit in the flywheel if it was in the wrong way

Last edited by John Gossling; 09-28-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

is the noise only when the clutch pedal is ALL the way down?

As you push the clutch in slowly can you control when the grinding starts?

"sometimes" the fork can hit the outer edge of PP but that is generally on twin disc type clutches. In those cases taking .100" off the base of the "T" stud resolves the problem but this should not be happening with a single disc clutch...unless the hydraulics are not bleed enough and the MC rod is then adjusted out to far to get full engagement but the fork then buzzes the PP

or the T.O bearing is failing

You should be able to just touch the clutch pedal with finger and push slightly and see a immediate corresponding "slight" movement of the slave rod at the same time. Would take 2 people to do this if hydraulics ae installed as one needs to be under car watching slave rod.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:52 AM

I have everything pulled down now. It looks like the PP was rubbing on the fork. Ill check me bleed and throw everything back together. Everything was put together right.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

do you have the plastic cup on the end of the slave rod?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:46 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

I have everything pulled down now. It looks like the PP was rubbing on the fork. Ill check me bleed and throw everything back together. Everything was put together right.
Whoa there hoss. The shift fork is held in place by a spring clip on the pivot. If the clip has failed or you dont get the fork slid in properly it will rub. Look closely and you should be able to see if its in correctly or not. If you cant see get a small USB scope cam and inspect