Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Instant clutch pedal pressure loss

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Instant clutch pedal pressure loss

02 TA . Anynoye else ever experienced this and if so what was the cause? Both the master cylinder and slave have been teplaced. No more than 50-60k on either. Drill mod on the master (pedal was sticking to the floor common issue) . Slave was replaced due to it was leaking . Still had some pedal pressure though. Mine just went from one step of feeling normal to no pressure at all on the next pedal push. I can pour fliud in the clutch reservoir and it drains right out like a busted line . Hate to ask such a stupid question but am since I had to have it towed to a shop and nowhere to work on it myself these days . It was pouring rain so couldn't get underneath to look for the leak myself
Old 11-13-2018, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

An BTW one of the mechanics told me "sounds like you need to replace the clutch assembly! Once I mentioned I was the one who built and installed the motor and trans back in the car . It went from a replace clutch assembly to a busted slave cylinder ,line,or quick disconnect fitting . :/
Old 11-13-2018, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

I have the same issue. Based on searching threads, I'm leaning toward the LS6 self adjusting pressure taking a crap.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Kinda what Im thinking to. Only thing is in my past experiences the slave starts showing signs of going bad . Mine went from full pressure engaing 1st then second then nothing. I was lucky to get it into 5th to get somwhere to pull over
Old 11-16-2018, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I wasn't paying attention and actually installed my clutch disc backwards this past summer. When I hit the clutch the first time, I blew the seal in the slave...but we didn't figure out exactly what happened until we got it back apart. However, right when it happened, we started adding fluid and trying to bleed the system hoping we somehow just got air in the system. Then we noticed the fluid was coming out in the small rectangular weep hole at the bottom of the bell housing. We pulled it apart the next day and discovered the slave blew the seal and blew fluid all over the clutch. It's a Monster Clutch Stage II and not exactly a cheap clutch. I replaced the slave, used a whole can of brake cleaner on the disc, put it all back together correctly and it's holding fine for now. I'm keeping an eye on it and Monster says they'll sell me just a disc for $250 as long as I send them back the contaminated disc. My point in all of that is to say that it's possible you blew the seal with the drill mod since it removes the restriction. I actually have a Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder, and they're known to blow slave cylinder seals if they're not adjusted properly, but it felt just like you described when the seal blew... Also, if this happened right after you assembled everything, check and make sure the clutch disc is facing the right direction.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

Blown slave . Has around 25-30k so know the disc was installed properly. Shop its at now want $1500-2k to just replace the slave. Shop about 12 miles away wants $1600 to remove and rebuild trans no cost other that slave cylinder price. Which route do you think I'm going? Lol trans needs 3/4 syncros replaced and a rebuild anyways