Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help identifying trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Help identifying trans

So I just pulled the trans apart, and noticed a few things...

1. This may be a dumb question but... I'm assuming the transmissions had RTV from the factory on the front/rear plate, as well as the shift detent cover right? (I only ask because all the videos and pictures I've seen don't show it or mention it.)

2. There are stickers on the top of the trans. One looks like an OEM Tremec sticker, the other though makes me wonder... here it is:

3. I have an aluminum 3-4 Shift fork... I know on Tick's website they said some 01-02 T56's had them, but how common was that?

So I'm trying to determine if this trans has been rebuilt at some point or replaced. Thoughts?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's what else I've found.

Surprisingly, with the exception of the reverse slider teeth being basically gone, the rest of the syncros seem fine. Is it possible for the linings of the blocker rings to wear and not see any wear whatsoever on the teeth? Here's a few pics for reference.

Here's the 1-2 slider. 3-4 looks almost identical. Little bit of wear on the very edges of the teeth, but doesn't look like anything major.

Here's the 2nd gear blocker teeth. The tops are a bit rounded, but the edges of the teeth are still present.

I'm fairly certain now this is a refurb trans. The synchro teeth just look too good for 170k miles (140k of which are unknown in terms of driving style). Plus I just looked and the shifter bushing is jb-welded onto the lever. So I'll be buying a new one of those as well as upgrading to the bronze cup.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Steel fork started showing up in the T56 Viper much earlier than other units. I do not recall seeing one ever in a F Body from the factory. Cobra T56 got it in 2003 and the GTO in 2004. Your unit could very well be a factory replacement unit replaced at some point and more than likely does not have the full miles on it that the car odometer shows. With 170K on it, the 5/6 gear splines on the main shaft should show signs of heavy wear on them as well as the 5/6 cluster gear that rides on it. If they do not, that is another indication the unit has much lower miles than the vehicle shows.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 5-6 cluster is indeed worn. Had the common 6th gear whine, and the cluster itself pulled off the mainshaft by hand. However the splines don't show much wear. I'll be sending it off to Jason at TDP to fix. I'm fairly certain the friction material on the synchros is shot, I could firmly press the 2nd gear ring against the gear and it spun with 0 drag.

Now I just need to decide if I want to buy new sliders or not.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse issues on 07 CTS v HeLP!!!

Hi, so I bought a 2007 CTS -V which has a couple of issues
issue one
the reverse will bring a grinding noise to your ears unless you shift from first into reverse then is works fine.
I was told the reverse gear syncro is bad and there is a kit that fixes this. The GM dealerships don’t want to mess with it and say that they will replace the Transmission,which I don’t believe that to be the problem. My question is, could I need a new tranny? I can row through all the gears fine. It’s just the reverse that’s the issue.

my second question is. The emergency break was apparently was driven by the previous owner with it engaged and now it barely works.
what kind of labor cost, fixes,diagnosis do y’all recommend?

i really appreciate any advice
ty in advance!
Old 02-04-2019, 07:43 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The shifter lever cup bushing may be adhered with the correct epoxy. 3M's 2-part adhesive for this application mixes up as grey too and definitely outperforms JB Weld.

Reverse synchro may have a good side to use with a new Rev. gear and you seem to have some other good parts.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for reply

[QUOTE=jmd;20041910]The shifter lever cup bushing may be adhered with the correct epoxy. 3M's 2-part adhesive for this application mixes up as grey too and definitely outperforms JB Weld.

Reverse synchro may have a good side to use with a new Rev. gear and you seem to have some other good parts.[/QUw

how much do do you think a shop would charge to fix it? Parts and labor? Also,is it a sign of being hot rodded?