Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Stage 2 Clutch Review. A year and a half of abuse.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Monster Stage 2 Clutch Review. A year and a half of abuse.

This is a quick review of my monster stage 2 clutch that I’ve had installed for a while now. It’s really an amazing clutch. Great feel. Holds the power. And it’s super easy to drive. None of my friends have ever had trouble with the clutch, in fact no one has ever mentioned the clutch and I think that’s a good thing. It drives very normal.

i installed this clutch as a kit from tick. Came with everything I needed to swap from a 4L60e minus the shifter and pedals and stuff like that. My car made 421 hp and 413 torque with my LQ4 and the clutch took it like a champ. Many many runs at the drag strip and lots of Mexico runs as well. And of course just cruising on the weekends, and sometimes I would daily the car. Never a problem with the clutch. So far so great.

This clutch is rated at 550 tq to the tires. The description on the page says it is not designed for the torque spike of turbos or nitrous, but drives nearly stock. When I bought it, I never thought I would make more than 550 hp. The stage 3 was actually cheaper and rated at 700 but I opted out because I wanted nice drivability, and like I said 550 was a huge number to me back then. But of course I got the boost bug and turbod the car this last winter. made 580 hp to the tire on pump 93 @ 8 psi. I thought ok I should probably just leave it there, and I did for a little bit because I knew the clutch rating. Then I cranked it to 14 Psi or so because why not. Never a problem with the clutch, no idea how much power it was making.

then I got tired of driving to get 93 and e85 is easy to find around here. So I did a flex fuel sensor and new fuel system as well as a new VS billet 7875. The GT45 was nosing over at higher rpm. Car made 604 hp on 10 psi at a dyno night with no boost controller. So of course I added a boost controller next, since the clutch was still holding on just fine. With an Eboost 2 you can really make the turbo respond down low extremely quickly. This is exactly what monster says NOT TO DO with this clutch. Cranked it back up to 15psi this time making the boost come in instantly. Guess what? Clutch is fine. Not a hint of slip. Immediately engages while shifting at 6500 rpm with all this horsepower. And drives like stock.

I recently met a guy that bought a roller camaro with a brand new monster stage 3 clutch. He said he would trade me clutch disks, as this is the only thing different between the stage 2 and stage 3 according to monster. So I just took the trans out and here is what i found.

The dang thing looks nearly new! Couple heat spots on the flywheel but not bad at all. Easily the cleanest used clutch ive ever seen. I had a camaro with a LS7 clutch and a TVS2300 blower. When I swapped the trans the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate looked like they had been to hell and back.

Im not entirely sure how much power the car was making, nor am i sure on how many miles is on it. 604 wheel hp at 10 psi, and i cranked it to 15 psi and its been there for a while now. I have stock WS6 wheels with 275/40/R17 Nitto NT05R drag radials on them. A fantastic tire by the way, the car really hooks. Everyone is blown away that it doesnt spin at all in 2nd gear with this much power. I give the credit to properly setting up my suspension. But thats another story. By no means am i saying that you need this clutch if you are making 700 wheel horsepower. Please dont think that. Im saying that this little guy is an over achiever without a doubt. I am really impressed with monster so far. Its hard to want another brand of clutch after this. I hope this stage 3 i just traded for will give me many years of good times. Thanks for reading!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not surprised. I'm happy with the Monster II.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Clutch

I will tell you a good Joke .. I tried different clutches on my 79 Z-28 Camaro because my shifting was so slow at high RPM ... Diaphragm design worked no better than the 3 finger Borg and Beck Style . Then 35 years later I found out that my Doug Nash 5 speed has very heavy gears and light Sync rhos from a Borg Warner T-10 or a Munchies 22 .

Thus my slow shifting had nothing to do with my clutch ..

As far as all of these Clutches go .. I assume most all will work fine if you don't abuse them.. They will also hold a lot more than rated for if you Don't Rev it to 5,000 RPM's and Dump the Clutch with slicks on .. I always used Street tires I ran 13:56 @ 107 MPH but could always beat mid 12 second cars on the street even with my slow shifting ..

This is how to do it when you have the right parts !

This guy is not impressed with his Monster Clutch the bright green is pretty however..

So now it's time to upgrade to an Ls-3 same deal I want to run on flex fuel .. and maybe 200 Nitrous shot .. . I am sure I would have no problem with my stock 10 bolt as long as I don't put slicks on and dump the clutch but I want to do that.. I got a price for Transmission Bell housing Clutch flywheel .. Clutch slave valve all for one Price .. I got no idea what the price of the Clutch is in the kit .. but I know that wanted $500 more for a twin disc .. which should not be necessary .. Also they wanted Like $500 more for a steel safety Bell houselights like the drag strips require if you are running Nitrous.. I suppose you could not go wrong with McCloide .. I see some builders use ram too ... My '79 Camaro still has the original brakes on it at 54,000 miles if you don't abuse things they last ..
Of course the Monster caught my eye cause the price seemed lower than the others.. I drive heavy Truck off road in soft ground heavy loads stopping and staring 100's of times per day spreading lime .. So I have always used organic clutches for that .. But he Ceramic button clutch should have way less spinning mass and should makes shifts easier at high RPms'

Last edited by MarkZ281979; 02-20-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man thank you for taking the time to write this! I've been looking all over to find someone that has used this clutch in a similar fashion pushing it and its great to see they hold up awesome. I just acquired a lightly used one in a trade deal to put a T56 back in my car and it sounds like it will hold right at where I want to make power with mine. How is the stage 3 for you? I was told by monster that I could send them this stage 2 disc and exchange/buy the level 3 clutch disc for $180+ shipping both ways, but I really dont want to put up with crappy street manners if the 3 ends up being a bear to nearly daily drive in the nice weather months.