Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Picking correct slave shim

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Picking correct slave shim

I am trying to think this through and just wanted some confirmation. I measured and put a shim in, but after driving it a bit i think the clutch release is a little higher than I would like so i was thinking i need a thinner shim to bring the release farther down the pedal. Is this correct?
Old 03-29-2019, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. Think about what that big coil spring behind the throw out bearing does. You will need a adjustable clutch master cylinder to do it.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure that’s accurate. While i have more adjustability with one of those i took it out because i didnt like the feel and it was recommended to use a oem MC with my clutch. By moving the slave 1/16-1/8 farther away from the clutch fingers i would think it would move clutch engagement down the pedal where i have to depress it farther for it to release the clutch. Most likely i was a little off on my initial measurements and cut it too close

Last edited by maroonls1z; 03-30-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To change the feel you could change to a 13/16 or 3/4 cylinder instead of the 7/8's. You move the slave back but that coil spring automatically pushes the bearing right back up to the pressure plate fingers. Changing the diameter of the slave cylinder will change pedal travel distance.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
I am not sure that’s accurate. While i have more adjustability with one of those i took it out because i didnt like the feel and it was recommended to use a oem MC with my clutch. By moving the slave 1/16-1/8 farther away from the clutch fingers i would think it would move clutch engagement down the pedal where i have to depress it farther for it to release the clutch. Most likely i was a little off on my initial measurements and cut it too close
You could move the slave body back and forward all you like, and it wont make a damn bit of difference. Because that's not how such a system works.

All this shim stuff is nonsense.