Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Converting 6060 to T56 magnum

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting 6060 to T56 magnum

I am fairly far along in my V8 Miata conversion and I am at the point of getting the transmission ready for use. The conversion needs either a T56 magnum or a 6060 with a Magnum tail (and supporting mods) so that the shifter lands at the right point and the driveshafts match up in length. I have a 6060 from a 2014 Camaro that is pretty much unused, zero sign of wear, I tore it down and shipped the input shaft off to Tick performance for them to modify so it matches the new output shaft needed to use the T56 tail. https://www.tickperformance.com/tr-6...onversion-kit/ All the parts came in and I am ready to start but there isn't much out there for a guide on how to best do this. Overall I get the idea, pull everything off the original mainshaft and put it on the new mainshaft, then reassemble. Can anyone suggest a good resource for doing this sort of conversion that dives deeper into the details.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by Acro2pilot
I am fairly far along in my V8 Miata conversion and I am at the point of getting the transmission ready for use. The conversion needs either a T56 magnum or a 6060 with a Magnum tail (and supporting mods) so that the shifter lands at the right point and the driveshafts match up in length. I have a 6060 from a 2014 Camaro that is pretty much unused, zero sign of wear, I tore it down and shipped the input shaft off to Tick performance for them to modify so it matches the new output shaft needed to use the T56 tail. https://www.tickperformance.com/tr-6...onversion-kit/ All the parts came in and I am ready to start but there isn't much out there for a guide on how to best do this. Overall I get the idea, pull everything off the original mainshaft and put it on the new mainshaft, then reassemble. Can anyone suggest a good resource for doing this sort of conversion that dives deeper into the details.
I have never done this, but I know that this won't be easy, because these transmissions require a lot of specialized pullers for all the gears. If you have never been inside a manual trans, I would pay a competent local shop to do this.

Andrew
Old 07-12-2019, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Easiest conversion wold be convert the 6060 to cash, then convert the cash to a Magnum lol

And a Magnum with a separate bellhousing, will surely make life easier in a tight install like a Miata ?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:29 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Start with a T56 rebuild guide. The PDF is out there for the Tremec (nearly identical to the Borg Warner) version.

Lock rings are replaced by half-circle washers and retaining rings on some locations along the main shaft. Pullling and installing gears on the one-piece countershaft is different as well. The detent under the inspection cover of the T56 is now in the front case adapter plate.

It will get you there; else ask questions.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Look up the gearing on that transmission.... 1st gear is painfully short being 3.01 ratio... Overall it will be cheaper... but in the long run you will have wished you went with a T56 Magnum or TR6060 with the 2.66 gearing (ZL1/CTSv).