Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Shifting weird

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default T56 Shifting weird

The T56 in my CTS-V1 is shifting kind of strange. I have the redline combo fluids in there and a pisnuoff shifter. I’ve done the clutch drag test and I get no creep. Original clutch/flywheel/pressure plate/MC and slave I think since the car only has just over 60k miles on it. If I pump the clutch slowly in the morning the shifter feels solid for the first few shifts and after that it starts to feel a bit odd like I can actually feel the teeth of the gears engaging when I shift and it doesn’t go into gear smoothly. There is no grinding but it’s not that solid notch feeling that I can sometimes get when the clutch has been pumped a couple times which is how I think it’s supposed to feel. Has anyone encountered this before? If the trans comes out I’m most likely going LS7 for the clutch because I hate the dual mass flywheel and if it’s out maybe I rebuild it but I’d rather not at this point. Can synchros get sluggish hence feeling the teeth engage or are they just failing? I’m at a loss here, I just want that awesome solid feeling that happens every once and a while all the time!
Old 09-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Teching In

I should add that I can’t actually bleed the clutch either, I’ve tried and nothing comes out the slave bleed valve. I’ve hooked up my motive and tried to do it that way and I’ve also tried my mityvac and nothing will move through the system in either direction which might be contributing to this issue.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem, no idea why
Old 10-13-2019, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 850 Likes on 651 Posts

I'd try a different fluid.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Teching In

I’ve had royal purple in there previously and it was the same and currently it’s the redline combo so I don’t quite know what other fluid to try or if that even would make a difference. Part of me think the blocker rings are just worn which means the trans comes out since I’m still getting blocked from downshifting into 4th from 5th every once and a while.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:42 AM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Sounds to me like the seals on the master might be bypassing. If you cannot bleed the clutch, even with the old fashioned crack-press-close-release method, then I would suspect a hydraulic issue before i tore the tranny apart.

Quick Reply: T56 Shifting weird