Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2001 Camaro Z28 T56 Clutch Fluid Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2001 Camaro Z28 T56 Clutch Fluid Leaking

Hey Guys, I just installed an Lq4 in my 2001 Z28 with a T56. It is leaking fluid out of the little hole in the bottom of the bellhousing where the trans meets the engine. I replaced the slave while it was out. I'm thinking it is leaking out of the hydraulic clutch line into the bellhousing and out the bottom. It seems to only leak for alittle after it has been driven and these no difference in the pedal that I can tell. The clutch line is kind of loose on the slave. Anyone have ideas of where this may be leaking? My plan is to replace the line now. Thanks
Old 01-23-2020, 06:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 355 Likes on 324 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It's probably a bad slave. This is really common and happens all the time; so it's really important to pick the right slave. This is particularly tragic when one pays a shop to do the work and we have to fork out another thousand to drop the transmission again to replace the slave.

What type/brand of slave cylinder did you put in?
Old 01-23-2020, 07:19 AM
Teching In

I reallllllly dont wanna have to pull the trans out hahah It's a Chevrolet Performance Slave.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:12 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

There are numerous threads on the subject going way back on this issue. Generally, the GM slaves and LUK slaves are the way to do. Many of us have had this problem come up with the Delco and other aftermarket parts. (Delco is not the same as GM parts in this situation.) Do you have the part number? I would expect Chevrolet Performance is a genuine GM part.

Regardless, if you have fluid coming from the hole, you'll need to drop the transmission so you can see what is going on.

I recently ordered a slave through the mail and was really disappointed to see how it was packed. Even for a good part, I thought it very easy for the throw-out bearing and it's seals to get damaged in transit unless the shipper was very careful.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:32 AM
Teching In

This is ridiculous then...Part Number is Chevrolet Performance 24264182 on Summit Racing. Are you suggesting I should look at LUK?

Im thinking it maybe worth it to change out the line before I decide to drop the trans and check the slave.

How bad is dropping just the trans? I did this when I had them both out during the motor swap.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:00 AM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

That's the good part. General consensus is that LUK makes the GM part and they are one-in-the-same. (LUK is just less expensive when you buy it off the shelf.) https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-cylinder.html

Did you get it through mail order? How was it shipped. Did some dillweed put the slave in the same box as the clutch so it could get all beat up, etc.?

Originally Posted by 302LS1
How bad is dropping just the trans? I did this when I had them both out during the motor swap.
It depends. I have a 4 post lift and a transmission jack and it was an absolute dream. Doing it on jack stands will take longer and be more challenging.

With the engine in, you'll need some long ratchet extensions that run the length of the transmission and the trick is to disconnect the transmission from the bell housing. NOT the bell housing from the engine. (There's not enough clearance between the tunnel and the gear to get the transmission out unless the transmission is removed separate from the bell housing. (For your situation, this shouldn't matter much, unless you have fluid on the clutch and need to take it out for a cleaning.) IMO - The biggest pain in the *** is removing all the interior dash components/boots, and driveline/bracket from the back of the transmission.

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro Z28 T56 Clutch Fluid Leaking