Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Brand new clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brand new clutch slipping

Ok I’ve been chasing some clutch issues for a little while now. Last summer I had a monster stage 3 put in my car. New slave / fly wheel / pressure plate / throw out bearing. (The only thing on my car I didn’t install myself). It’s been in for around 1000 miles. When it was first put in it smelled a little bit I just took it as it’s a new clutch. Smell slowly went away. Now whenever I get it up passed 4500 in 3rd or 4th it slips pretty bad. It will start to take off and by the time it hits 6k it feels like it’s in neutral. I’m at the point where I’m going to rip it out. You can’t adjust anything on these hydraulic clutches right? Open for suggestions please

what I’ve done so far :

-ive bled the clutch with the speed bleeder
-Installed a tick master cylinder and adjusted the peddle
Old 02-15-2020, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Get a visual on whether the slave/bearing is fully retracted, or in a normal position that would not be putting pressure on the fingers.

But either the clutch is faulty...or it has been installed wrong. More likely the latter.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by 8hnpSS
You can’t adjust anything on these hydraulic clutches right? Open for suggestions please
Yes, there are adjustments.

1) The slave cylinder on the transmission has to be shimmed to the correct depth for your clutch.

2) The Tick master cylinder you installed has an adjustable rod length that influences the volume of fluid when the clutch pedal is stroked. Longer rod length (pedal higher) moves more fluid during the stroke. Shorter rod length (pedal lower) moves less fluid during the stroke. You can under stroke the slave cylinder; or you can over stroke the master cylinder & slave cylinder. There is a procedure to properly adjust the rod length.

3) The master cylinder bore diameter changes volume of fluid, stroke, and pedal effort. The stock master cylinder has a bore diameter of 3/4". Tick gives you a Tilton master cylinder that moves more fluid with a 7/8" bore diameter and maximum 1" stroke. Make sure you're not exceeding 1" stroke and slamming the piston into the body. (The clutch pedal should hit the physical pedal stop, not be stopped by the master cylinder.) The bore diameter number is cast into the body of the cylinder and you can read it.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Yes, there are adjustments.

1) The slave cylinder on the transmission has to be shimmed to the correct depth for your clutch.

2) The Tick master cylinder you installed has an adjustable rod length that influences the volume of fluid when the clutch pedal is stroked. Longer rod length (pedal higher) moves more fluid during the stroke. Shorter rod length (pedal lower) moves less fluid during the stroke. You can under stroke the slave cylinder; or you can over stroke the master cylinder & slave cylinder. There is a procedure to properly adjust the rod length.

3) The master cylinder bore diameter changes volume of fluid, stroke, and pedal effort. The stock master cylinder has a bore diameter of 3/4". Tick gives you a Tilton master cylinder that moves more fluid with a 7/8" bore diameter and maximum 1" stroke. Make sure you're not exceeding 1" stroke and slamming the piston into the body. (The clutch pedal should hit the physical pedal stop, not be stopped by the master cylinder.) The bore diameter number is cast into the body of the cylinder and you can read it.
I have made small adjustments to the rod length on the master cylinder and it made little to no difference. The clutch will dis engage just fine and has no problem going into gear. Im leaning more toward the slave or throw out bearing. Either way it has to come out. Appreciate the input

Quick Reply: Brand new clutch slipping